This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Membership Levels

I have changed the membership level in the forum, and tried to have a little fun. We have started offering prizes for reaching certain levels (though some are better than others). You have to send me an email when you reach a new level, and we can arrange to send you your goodies.

Here goes:

- 0 postings, Serf. You have to register to join, and you owe us half your crops. You also can't post a URL until your 5th posting (Spam aversion).
    - 25 postings, Peasant. You can keep all of your crops, but you owe us half the retained heat in your oven.
    - 50 postings, Laborer. You get to mix the concrete.
    - 100 postings, Apprentice. You get to cut the bricks.
    - 250 postings, Journeyman. You win a Forno Bravo pizza cutter from the Forno Bravo Store. It's a nice one with a removable blade that you can sharpen and replace, and you have to say something nice about it in the forum.
    - 500 postings, Master Builder. You win a 5-pack of Caputo pizza flour.
    - 1,000 postings, Pizzaiolo. You win a Caputo T-shirt.

You can only claim prizes moving forward from today, no backdating of prizes won (or stock options granted).

James
    Last edited by james; 04-30-2007, 09:53 AM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: New Membership Levels

There is a concept with the forum system called reputation. I have to admit to not having read about it, but I wil. There may be something there. It's interesting to see that it is getting harder to find what you are looking for, as the community grows -- which is still a good thing.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I googled the "reputation" feature, and it looks promising.

Even better would be to encourage users to use the "Rate Thread" feature, if they see an especially helpful or interesting message. Messages in the forum can be sorted by rating.

Unfortunately, the ratings are not displayed when threads are displayed as the result of a search.
      -Chris-
      I'm building a Pompeii Oven in Austin, Texas. See my progress at:
      Il Forno Fumoso

Comment

Not having a very good reputation myself (in certain circles anyways), I not sure that voting on reputation would enhace my experience here.

I worry that it might change the flavor of this very good natured and non flaming group. I am glad to have the oppurtunity to be part of a forum with such a giving, accepting, and easy going nature.

Thanks

Christo
        My oven progress -
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
        sigpic

Comment

Agreed, I have always walked lightly when entering any forum or blog site. I have a tendency to "tell it like it is" in real life, and would certainly be driven away. I know what I've seen elsewhere has effected my participation here, and thats a shame (an a problem for me, which I hope to overcome). To this point, this is the finest forum I've ever read, with none of the chest out, inflated head, "I am the only "expert", attitudes seen so much of the time. To me, things are comfortable here. With that, and my new experiences with oven building and pizza making, my participation will certainly increase without fear of being "flamed" as you mention. This is a unique forum, I hope it does not change, simply for the sake of change.
          Thanks again to everyone who've made this what it is.

Comment

At least for this forum [and credit goes to Jim and to the group as a whole], I feel that a Forum Reputation System is unnecessary. In the time that I have been a member [almost a year now] I can't remember a discouraging word being uttered.

If anything, members are more than helpful and go out of their way to insure the sucess of others, regardless if they are build ing from scratch, using a modular [FB or others], baking bread, cooking, or just lurking. Enough said.

J W

Comment

well put. agreed, enough said

Comment

WHOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!
                With that last post, I get to keep all of my crops......now the whole family can eat.

Comment

Rate Threads might be useful around here but the Reputation feature usually engenders hard feelings more than anything else. As a newbie I can't honestly see the need here for either.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                  [/CENTER]

Comment

RT, have you stored the crop? It is going to be winter soon
                    An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
                      Rate Threads might be useful around here but the Reputation feature usually engenders hard feelings more than anything else. As a newbie I can't honestly see the need here for either.
                      I agree but the decision is your James.

Ive been a member of several forums and it seems the hardest job is the one of a moderator. I have no desire to do it. People get their panties in a wad when they feel singled out and if their post get edited.

The forum is your's James and you can feel free to run it as a benevolent dictatorship. You own it; you set the rules. We follow the rules. If we don't then we get warned or edited.

Ive come to find that forums are a wonderful source of information and they can also foster a sense of community, camaraderie and long distance friendships.

A free flow of information in a civil discourse is the best way to use forums. No flaming. Remember to use the smileys. Sometimes the printed word may not reflect your true intent. You could be kidding but it could be taken the wrong way.

You've got a great resource here James. Keep up the good work.
                      Mark

Life is too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Hmmm, I need to claim a pizza cutter it seems...
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                        [/CENTER]

Comment

I think I am more attracted to the BOTM (Best of the Month) award than reputation. If we kick off a BOTM program, each month we will nominate 5 "bests". They can be a photo, thread, oven, oven details, pizza, new recipe, etc. Then, I will create a poll with the top 5, and the top vote getter wins a prize.

That way we are identifying the best work -- and not going down the reputation path.

What do you think?

I definitely agree that we have something special going on here. It's fun and the community is incredibly helpful. Personally, I really enjoy the social contact, along with the great WFO info. We need to keep nuturing this.

Archena, send me an email and we will send your pizza cutter. :-)
                          James
                          Pizza Ovens
                          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
                            I think I am more attracted to the BOTM (Best of the Month) award than reputation. If we kick off a BOTM program, each month we will nominate 5 "bests". They can be a photo, thread, oven, oven details, pizza, new recipe, etc. Then, I will create a poll with the top 5, and the top vote getter wins a prize.

This looks like a really good idea to me!

The best I've heard so far.

Cheers
                            My thread:
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                            My costs:
                            http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                            My pics:
                            http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post

That way we are identifying the best work -- and not going down the reputation path.

What do you think?

I definitely agree that we have something special going on here. It's fun and the community is incredibly helpful. Personally, I really enjoy the social contact, along with the great WFO info. We need to keep nuturing this.

Archena, send me an email and we will send your pizza cutter. :-)
                              James
                              Sorry James, you may need to move this quote to the Yearly Grand Prize thread.
                              Acoma
                              An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Working...
                              X