Open Grill Forum Category

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Grill Forum Category

I have added a new forum category on designing and building an open grill.

If anyone has ideas of comments, you can post them there -- if you have built one, are going to build one, or have some thoughts. My hope is that we can create a standard set of plans, along the lines of the Pompeii Oven plans, where we will put together drawings and photos, then HTML pages, and eventually an e-Book.

Jump in.
    James
    Last edited by james; 06-03-2007, 02:43 AM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Open Grill Forum Category

i just started my pizza oven and also will incorporate an open grill next to it. we are up the the insulated slab and will start our oven portion. the grill is kind of trial and error (hopefully not to much error) when i get that started i'll post some pictures

tony

Comment

I am planning to build either a pit/grill or cooking fireplace or some combination thereof next to my oven. The goal is to have a place to hang a leg of lamb over/in front of a fire and slow roast that sucker! I have done it in Provence (using rosemary twigs to brush olive oil on the lamb and it is superb!
      Jay

Comment

I was with my family in Provence a few years back and in one of the restaurants they had this rack system for doing a gigot of lamb. The firewood was started and then put into this rack that held the burning wood alongside the back wall of the fireplace. The only comparison I can think of is think of a murphy bed albeit on a much smaller scale and instead of a matress, there is the logs of burning firewood. Then about 16 inches away from the "wall of firewood" was a bar and the legs of lamb were hung from it and every few minutes the chef would rotate the legs until they were done. The meat was then sliced as needed when cooked.

Comment

We did the lamb at a cooking school at a private residence near Nice. The fireplace was similar to what you describe - shallow, Rumford-like. The logs were not arranged up the back but the flames were kept fairly tall and ran up the inclined (to the front) rear of the fireplace. The leg of lamb was tied on a string on a hook at the front of the fireplace - probably no more than a 15 inches in front of the flames. The leg was "spun" by hand to twist the spring and when released it would spin the leg for some time, more than five minutes, before stopping. Then we would baste the leg with olive oil using rosemary branches and rewind the string.

I have wanted a cooking fireplace ever since!
          Jay

Comment

Don't mess with string: buy a roasting jack! Victorian technology to the rescue!

ANTIQUE VICTORIAN MEAT ROASTING JACK CLOCKWORK BBQ RARE - eBay (item 390045671488 end time Aug-17-09 20:39:04 PDT)

My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

That is pretty seriously cool! But the string had a really nice, primitive feel also. It was a heavy, rough, brown twine. I expected it to fail but it never did. They indicated that approach had been in use in the area for hundreds of years. One other thing I never really understood was that it was twisted MANY times, but it spun only slowly and was oh so perfect for the job.

Thanks for the reference dmun! Now...do I really have an extra $375... Hmmmm....
              Jay

Comment

Hi Folks,
                I have at last started on my BBQ / open grill which is coming on fine but now i have to wait for the gills and supports to be made, I will keep you posted. i have tried to keep it simple but effective.

Comment

Hi James,
                  I have posted some photos of my open grill but I had to post them in the hearth and stands section, perhaps you could open a section for photos of open grills and BBq's.
                  Keep up the good work.

Comment

Hey guys,

I am in Europe -- the land of open grills (and limited Internet access). We're meeting our producers and seeing friends, and I've been hanging out in DIY stores. :-) I like open grills and I use my fireplace with a Tuscan grill for all of our BBQ'ing.

We have a Forum category for grills. You can us the Traditional Grill category:

Traditional Grill Design - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Does that help?
                    James
                    Pizza Ovens
                    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Hi, I have finnaly got my oven off the ground and am incorporating a counter and grill section. The counter separates the oven and grill and will be poured as one piece with the first layer of the hearth. The grill is at a lower level and will be poured separately. I'll try and post some pictures soon.

Comment

Hi24

I work in a software company as a computer programmer, which is quite a challenging job because our clients usually want us to write programs in a short period of time
                        Süßwasserperlen

Comment

Working...
                        X