BOTM April 08 Voting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOTM April 08 Voting

For everyone in the U.S., I hope you survived tax day. For those of us outside the states, it's a good day to be happy you weren't here!

It's time to throw open the voting for Best of the Month for April 08 -- the first spring edition. :-) This was by far the most difficult month to pick the top 5 nominees. Now, we need more voters.

Vote early, (sorry you can't vote often). If you've been following the news on the election problems we have in the U.S., I am sorry to say that this is electronic voting only, and that we will not be able to keep paper records, in case there is a re-count!

Enjoy,
    James
    Acoma (hmmm, his wife really) for their rich pizza sauce recipe.
    12.50%
    Xabia Jim for his great recipes, food and photos. Thanks Jim.
    20.83%
    Dmun for his technical excellence and insightful graphics and drawings.
    33.33%
    Kemo for his outstanding oven, enclosure, pizza cooking skills, and his well documented thread.
    20.83%
    John Fahle for making a very cool oven from, well, virtually nothing.
    12.50%
    Last edited by james; 04-17-2008, 11:31 AM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: BOTM April 08 Voting

We need more voters! All the new folks should not be shy, check out the posts and cast your vote on your favorite!
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Agreed. We need more voters!
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Based on the polling numbers for BOM's it would look like the active core constituency runs from 15 to 30 members....
        Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Well, lets face it, that seems about right. Doesn't it?
          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I'm wondering whether the location of the poll for BOTM might be part of the reason for so few votes. I was on the forum for several months before I noticed the "new posts" link. I think a lot of the members just never see that the thread has been started and so never get the opportunity to post.

My guess is that active builders spend most of their time in the Pompeii Oven Construction, Introductions, and Brick Oven Photos sections of this forum. Once a newbie read the rules of the forum, they never go back to that section. Those newest members acutally reading that information would probably feel less than qualified to vote on BOTM because they are new and did not see any of the posts.

How can you improve the participation? Let's make a list:

- In the forum guidlines section, post a sticky that details the most efficient way to search threads for information and how to find all the new posts.

- Move the BOTM poll to a more conspicuous location for those that skip the guidelines.

Any other ideas?? Perhaps you disagree completely? You won't hurt my feelings by saying so.

Anyway, that's my two cents!
            GJBingham
            -----------------------------------
            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

George, I have a clear idea. When the members go to the main forum page, within the "Good Background Information" a new topic needs to be labeled "Polls for members". The threads for polls will need to be realistic, not like "is my sauce good? Poll me..." What James would be able to do is to manage the polls for ones not realy belonging there, and he could move to correct thread areas. I believe that a "Polls for members" will get more involved. Letting it be a sticky, or hidden will likely cause this voting to be victim of a cult idea. The few having enthusiasm.
              An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

BOTM could be it's own section.....and other milestones to give away the buckshot flour....
                Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Yes SpringJim. Own section but visibility locked in.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

It'd probably be a good idea to have a picture of or at least a link to the ovens or posts that are up for votes.

What you've all said is true. Specially when you're spending all your spare time building an oven, the amount of posts can be somewhat overwhelming and you're more likely just to stick to the building section, specifically the comments on your own thread...

And even if you do stumble on the BOTM, ploughing through all the posts to find out which ovens or whatever have been nominated... unless you're spending a lot of time on the forum already you're just not going to do it.
                    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I concur Frances. I first registered on this forum when I was in Japan back in 2005 I think. I only read a couple of posts because I was a bit curious at that point about building an oven instead of buying one. Once I found that it could be done, I just locked it away in my memory to come back to on the day that I decided it was time to do it. (I couldn't remember my password, so had to register again, but that changed my join date to Sept. 07) I digress....

In my case, and probably yours Frances - there were about 5 or 6 of us building at the same time. We were talking to others actively building and in my case, not really reading anything else. I never even looked at the recipies, breads, oven management sections of the forum. No time! I read every thread on building that had more than just a couple of pages. I think a lot of the members just kind of drift away once the've got the oven built and are happy with their pizza skills.

I do like the idea of a separate section for the BOTM poll - (which should be spelled out). BOTM doesn't inspire someone to open the thread if they don't know what it stands for.
                      GJBingham

-

Comment

I will read through all the recommendations for trying to increase the number of folks who vote; and I think we can come up with something that will help. I think the number of voters will increase with a little help -- plus, over time we will continue to add new members and more "core" members. Also, it is true that voting isn't for everyone. There are nominations to read and threads to read, and lots of folks are just trying to build an oven, or improve their pizza and bread technique. :-)

On a happy note; congratulations David! A very well deserved win. I know I am speaking for everyone when I say how much we all appreciate your contributions, expertise, outlook, knowledge and wonderful thinking.

Enjoy your new round of Caputo pizza flour. :-)

Can you send your address and phone to info at fornobravo dot com. That will remind us to send you your prize.

James
                        Pizza Ovens
                        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Recount! I had my superdelegets committed. The storms and roadblocks prevented them from showing.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

I can't claim anything but name recognition in this race. I didn't even send out any promotional DVD's "for your consideration"

But I do want to thank the academy...
                            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Congrats David! Once again, really great graphics that over time, will help a lot of builders.
                              GJBingham

-

Comment

Working...
                              X