Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody out there built the Tom Jaine oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken524
    replied
    Re: Has anybody out there built the Tom Jaine oven?

Yeah, I really need pictures. I don't have Jaine's book and don't really understand what you are talking about. Are you building an oven stand right now or the actual oven?

Leave a comment:

• shepster
    replied

Yep I have stopped building! The walls are constructed of 100mm wide concrete blocks. The wall is 4 blocks high and only single skin. He suggests (Tom Jaine;building a wood fired oven) that the void in the middle which is 1.7m x 1.7m be backfilled with sand and rubble etc. Problem is I am concerned about the pressure that would be on the walls. Once backfilled, 3 lintels are placed across and the backfill is used to cast the base
    Any opinions.............?
    Photo to follow

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Shepster...

Welcome to the board! With those kinds of questions and concerns I would strongly recommend that you STOP building and post some photos of what you doing.

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

"Backfill" sounds ominous. Can you give us some details? What's the plan for insulation?

Leave a comment:

• SpringJim
    replied

What about some more details on your concerns? Too thick or too thin? What are you trying to accomplish with the Tom Jaine?

Leave a comment:

• shepster
    started a topic Has anybody out there built the Tom Jaine oven?

Has anybody out there built the Tom Jaine oven?

I have started building the oven based on the plans in the Tom Jaine book.
    I have doubts about the thickness of the walls. I have constructed the slab and walls and am about to backfill as per the plan. If anybody else has built one It would be good to talk!!!
Working...
X