Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beginning

Hi
    I am new to the forum. I am starting a pizza oven project and I have some basic questions about what I intend to do.
    1. Are the advantages of a circular dome worth the difficulty of construction as opposed to a barrel vault oven?
    2. Has anyone used "wonderboard" or "hardybacker" to construct the outside [not the fire brick inner core] of the oven {to hold the vermiculite insulation}? The cement board can then be tiled.
    3. Are there any problems with a firebrick floor joints when making the pizza?

Re: beginning

Originally posted by Smiriglio View Post
    Hi
    I am new to the forum. I am starting a pizza oven project and I have some basic questions about what I intend to do.
    1. Are the advantages of a circular dome worth the difficulty of construction as opposed to a barrel vault oven?
    Smiriglio,

The circular dome really isn't that difficult. Here's why you want a round oven:

Why Build an Italian Brick Oven | Round Brick Oven Design
    Why Italian Wood Fired Ovens Are Round

2. Has anyone used "wonderboard" or "hardybacker" to construct the outside [not the fire brick inner core] of the oven {to hold the vermiculite insulation}? The cement board can then be tiled.
    Dozens of us have. Explore this site extensively before starting your project. You will find all sorts of answers and inspiration in the forums and photo gallery.

3. Are there any problems with a firebrick floor joints when making the pizza?
    Nope. Read the Pompeii oven plans carefully. You will be leveling the bricks when you lay the floor.

You can view the plans online or download them as a PDF.
    Brick Oven Plans | Build an Italian Brick Oven

Be sure to keep us up to date on your planning and progress!
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Just a note: The few people (like James, the site owner) who've built both think the round oven is easier and better. Building the dome is the dome is generally easier than building the slabs, base, and enclosure, which you have to build with either style oven.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I guess the biggest problem with these forums is people like me asking the same questions that have been asked many times before. Thank you for the helpful responses and I will search the site thoroughly when I get a chance and I will post my progress, as it happens.

Comment

Smiriglio,

No problem! The best place to start is the plans. There are a lot of answers there (the plans will also generate a lot more questions!).
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
          Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I went looking for high temp insulation yesterday and found 2600 degree refractory brick which is essentially ridged silica foam. Could these be used under the floor bricks of the oven to provide both a flat platform and insulation?

Comment

i do believe so....they are the lighter insulating firebrick right? But you want 4 to 6 inches....how much are they?, might be cheaper for an insulating layer pour with the vermi/perl crete mortar.
              Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Working...
              X