Greetings from Coburg Oregon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Coburg Oregon!

I've been lurking for awhile and finally decided to register. My oven can't get hot enough for real pizza, so I guess it's essential that I get a wood fired oven (at least that is what I told my wife ).

Re: Greetings from Coburg Oregon!

Welcome japhroaig! That is the same experience with me. I tried for years rigging up systems with bricks and baking stones inside kitchen ovens and gas grills before deciding that there was no way around this massive project. Great pizza and bread can be made without one, but it is no good knowing that you can do much better.

Comment

Welcome & greetings from North Carolina: It looks like we joined the forum at the same time. Why not do as I have done to cure the WFO itch and build a cob oven until you decide where and how big to build, etc. Plus you can learn a lot along the way, have a lot of fun, have a completed oven earlier, and have a backup oven, etc.

Check out my cob/clay oven thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ild-12388.html

I definitely want to build a full brick oven, but it has been very satisfying working with the earth and having an oven that cost only perhaps a hundred dollars. (including block, etc.) If you have access to used block etc. and want to scout around for building materials you could have a semi-permanent oven for even less. I recommend at the least you buy and use firebrick for the hearth and vermiculite/concrete mix (5 to 1 mixed very dry) under the firebrick.

Give it a try or start building the permanent oven: otherwise your gonna keep itching for some flame!!! Regardless best of luck and let me know your status!

Comment

Originally posted by bruced View Post
        Welcome japhroaig! That is the same experience with me. I tried for years rigging up systems with bricks and baking stones inside kitchen ovens and gas grills before deciding that there was no way around this massive project. Great pizza and bread can be made without one, but it is no good knowing that you can do much better.
        Hey Bruced; find any gold nuggets out there in Placerville, CA?? I've been panning before but only got "flour" and flakes. A nice nugget could pay for your WFO!! Ha Ha.

Comment

hey oregonian
          take the regulator out of the BBQ and get a stone and you get 800+

Or get your feet muddy

I am building my second oven in process now

Chris
          Bend, Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by marklewis View Post
            Hey Bruced; find any gold nuggets out there in Placerville, CA?? I've been panning before but only got "flour" and flakes. A nice nugget could pay for your WFO!! Ha Ha.
            I wish! your knowledge of geography is impressive. There are buried goldmines all over this town, and we are just up the hill from Coloma, the site that started the gold rush.

That oven looks great. Maybe I should consider starting that way, but I am about ready to pour my foundation. Otherwise it may take a year or longer!

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by bruced View Post
              I wish! your knowledge of geography is impressive. There are buried goldmines all over this town, and we are just up the hill from Coloma, the site that started the gold rush.

That oven looks great. Maybe I should consider starting that way, but I am about ready to pour my foundation. Otherwise it may take a year or longer!

Bruce
              Good luck and have fun with your oven build. Keep a thread of your build and I will track: I'll surely need advice when I build my permanent Pompeii oven.

Comment

Working...
              X