New member in Salt Lake City, UT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member in Salt Lake City, UT

Just found your forum today. We want to build a WFO to be accessed from our basement. We want to dig out a window well and have access to the oven from the window area of our basement kitchen. The WFO would be buried in the dug-out window well. We need help knowing how to vent it, because the chimney would be right next to the outside wall of our home. Also, need help with the best price and materials in the Wasatch Front. Thanks for your help.

Re: New member in Salt Lake City, UT

I can't help with your questions, but that sounds like a really cool idea! Welcome to the forum.
    Daren
    Picasa web album
    Oven-building thread

Comment

I called the City today and they told me to call the Fire chief for the city. I emailed pix of the oven we want to build and the window well and our house. He said he had no problem with any of it and told me to get a city inspector to sign off on it. The chimney is outside, so do I need a double-wall insulated chimney pipe or can I use a single wall from Home Depot or Lowes?

Comment

I use a single wall from Home Depot or Lowes?
        No. Really no. The chimney gets really hot, and could endanger your siding and what's underneath it. Single wall stove pipe is just made to connect woodstoves to proper chimneys. It also rusts out pretty quickly.

The insulated chimney systems come with attachment brackets for applications just like yours.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks for your reply. So where is the best place to get an insulated chimney? I really don't want the chimney to cost more than the oven itself.

Comment

Are you going to use a kit or are you winging it? I am in bountiful and have found a great place for firebrick and stuff. Give me your contact info and I will pass the info on. Check with the fire marshall before you start I talked to ours today and need to reposition the oven. I had to be 10 feet from property line and 10 feet from combustables

Derk

Comment

Derk: I sent some pix and a detailed description to our Fire Marshall yesterday and he said he was fine with our proposal. I now need to get a permit from the city. My email address is melarkin@msn.com and we live in Cottonwood Heights, which is the city between Big and Little Cottonwood canyons. I'll try to attach some photos to show what we're trying to do? We want to access the front of the oven from the inside of our home, but the entire oven would be mostly buried outside, next to our house.

Comment

If you need firebrick, the old geneva steel site has many thousands of them, you have to take your tapemeasure to get normal size ones. Look on KSL Classifieds for firebrick, it will be an older add.

I have struck out on a local refractory mortar supply. There is a place out west (40th and 18th or so south) that sells fireclay for 15 a bag.

block at Lehi Block .98 each in the closeout piles.
                Beuhler block in Salt lake( 3rd west and 21st? or so) also was helpful with block and such.

I think you might be in for a little expense with the flue. Check with fireplace stores for more info.

I will keep an eye out for flues.

Derk

Comment

Hey Mel
                  Welcome to the forum.. Great Idea,, Gonna be very cool.. Looking forward to watching your build progress... Lots of pics please...

Cheers
                  Mark

Comment

Welcome to the forum Mel,
                    I found a wealth of information on chimney pipe on the site: ventingpipe.com They carry several different brands besides the Simpson Duratech. I hope you have an efficient vent fan in the downstairs kitchen because these ovens sometimes smoke quite a bit on start up. Once the fire is going its minimal to non existant. Good luck
                    Eric

Comment

Originally posted by melarkin View Post
                      Thanks for your reply. So where is the best place to get an insulated chimney? I really don't want the chimney to cost more than the oven itself.
                      Home depot or lowes

Comment

Originally posted by melarkin View Post
                        Home depot or lowes or online

Comment

Working...
                        X