Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting ready to start...Finally

Hello...
    I'm new on the forum and I'm still getting used to it. I finally broke ground for my oven but I have a question. I'm in Michigan and our frost line is 42". I was going to do footers at this depth and then cement block to ground level. I was wondering if the block should be coated with anything and what should i fill the inside with? Gravel? the dirt I took out ?or a combination of both? I'm putting a slab on top of the block and then will continue the base from there.
    Thanks for any help you can provide.

Re: Getting ready to start...Finally

Concrete at the corners and every third or fourth cell, preferably with at least a #3 rebar vertically though the footer.

Comment

Thanks, I was really worried about movement. After all the planning, the wife would kill me if it heaved and cracked....

Comment

Wait for more and better responses, the only frost heave around here is from eating too much ice cream. Going by some of the pictures I have seen posted, my recommendation is light on reinforcement.

Comment

Hi Fenton and welcome....
          If you check with the local building dept, they may have recommendations.. I like the flared sonotubes.. makes it almost impossible for frost heave... also allow for drainage around your slab..... If you like, and go the block route,, In addition to what scar said, you can coat the block with SBC (surface bonding cement) and add the acrylic fortifier for additional waterproofing.. Welcome and good luck with your build
          Cheers
          Mark
          Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X