Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

building permit required in San Francisco?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building permit required in San Francisco?

Hello,

We are in process of getting the Giardino 70 this Wednesday. I need to know if we are required to obtain the building permit for wood fired oven installation in the backyard?

Regards
    Melody

Re: building permit required in San Francisco?

Only your local city hall or code enforcement office can tell you for sure. All it takes is a phone call, or two, or three. You may have to explain exactly what it is, many have no experience with WFOs, then classify them as BBQs, which usually don't have any code requirements, except national fire code compliance. Do not take our word for it, make the calls and be sure to document who and when you talked to them.

RT

Comment

I called City of SF>bldg permit dept and Im gonna copy and paste the body of their response in case if anyone in SF isnt sure about needing the permit for wood fired oven in the backyard.

"It is my understanding that outdoor barbecues, grills, ovens, fireplaces,
      etc. are not regulated by the Building Code and are not within the
      jurisdiction of the Department of Building Inspection. Barbecues and other
      outdoor fuel-burning appliances may be regulated under the Fire Code and by
      the Bay Area Air Quality District."

Melody

Comment

I looked into it and RT is correct, they didn't have a clue. They finally got back to me and said to come down and give them the minimum $65.00 because no inspection was required - what a joke. I did talk to the fire marshal and the required setback is 10 feet from any combustible material. That is here, it may be different where you are located.

Les...
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Hi all,

I called City of SF>Bldg Permit Dept and got this info via email.

"It is my understanding that outdoor barbecues, grills, ovens, fireplaces,
          etc. are not regulated by the Building Code and are not within the
          jurisdiction of the Department of Building Inspection. Barbecues and other
          outdoor fuel-burning appliances may be regulated under the Fire Code and by
          the Bay Area Air Quality District."
          Thank you,
          Laurence Kornfield
          Deputy Director for Permit Services
          Department of Building Inspection
          City and County of San Francisco
          415-558-6244 office
          415-558-6438 fax

Comment

In the city where I live, I was told that I did not need one. Was told to talk to the Fire Department and they said only requirement was to have a spark arrester on top the chimmney
            Toby

Columbus, NE

Comment

Working...
            X