Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G'day

G'day from Perth,

I have been playing around making pizzas on & off for a couple of years but got sick of paying the takeaway pizzas from the large chain stores near me so have been making them for the last few months in an electric oven on a stone.
    Recently i stripped our rear courtyard and starting building a refractory dome kit oven, it still requires some cosmetic finishing but i have fired it and done five pizzas.
    The first one looked great but eas underdone, the second & third pizzas were pretty good, the fourth one ended up a calzone after sticking to the peel and the last one was pretty good.
    Robert

I love watching my crust rise and change colour in my WFO.

Re: G'day

Almost had a stuff up today, i bought a dish to use in my oven and went to put it in and discovered it's a little bit too big. I was quietly cursing myself when my wife came out and said 'why don't you take the lid off?' and instantly the little problem was resolved.
    Robert

Comment

Nice oven Robs.
      Your attention to detail is far better than mine. I have one criteria upon which I judge my oven to be finished "can I cook in it?". The moment the answer is yes, down tools and beer up.

Comment

This is my practice oven and would do some things a bit differently next time. Next time will be when we buy a new home as we are out growing this house. 2nd child is on it's way and we have already run out of storage space. When we get a new place it will have to have enough space to build a woodfired oven, bbq, serving/prep with storage underneath. And a big shed oh and perhaps a boat. I could keep going for ever, home ownership creates lots of possibilities.
        Last edited by robs; 05-28-2010, 08:24 AM. Reason: Left out half a sentence.
        Robert

Comment

Congrats on the upcoming blessed event - oh, and the oven, too. Seriously, nice oven. Is the chimney in the rear? It looks like it in the pic but I can't tell for sure. If so, how well is it heating?
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
          [/CENTER]

Comment

Yes we are all excited about our new addition(s).
            The chimney is at the front (pics attached) so it heats up in 20 to 30 minutes if you get an aggresive fire happening.
            Robert

Comment

Those cheap foil baking dishes you get from Crazy Clarks (or whatever cheapo, disposal, excess stock, redneck shops) for about $2 are great for WFO's They are usually oval and you just stuff them in. You can smoke them up and throw them away when you're done.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Tonights effort.

My wife doesn't like any spots on the underside of the dough so put one pizza on a tray - worked well. My daughter (3yo) won't even allow me to put her pizza in the woodfired oven and must be on a tray also but cooked in the electric oven -worked well. She won't even eat my tomato sauce so has normal sauce or ketchup.
                3rd pizza cooked well straight on the floor of the woodfired oven but the 2nd and third ones stuck on the peel. Next time i will make the dough a bit drier, it's currently about 63% before i even put it on the peel i thought they were a bit moist and would stick so wasn't surprised at all. At least the mess just burns away and you don't really need to clean up.
                Overall the pizzas turned out well and can't wait to try again but i am going away for a week so will have to wait.
                How much water as a % do most people use in their recipes?
                Robert

Comment

Um, you might try (I know this is sacrilege) a store bought frozen pizza for your daughter and put that in the WFO. Neapolitan is a big change and not really a kid friendly one. If she learns the stuff coming out of the oven isn't to her liking it's gonna take forever for her to accept it. Use something you know she likes and later on introduce the homemade version.

Disclaimer: Have no kids but did have very picky nephew.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Um, you might try (I know this is sacrilege) a store bought frozen pizza for your daughter and put that in the WFO. Neapolitan is a big change and not really a kid friendly one. If she learns the stuff coming out of the oven isn't to her liking it's gonna take forever for her to accept it. Use something you know she likes and later on introduce the homemade version.

Disclaimer: Have no kids but did have very picky nephew.

[/CENTER]

Comment

I'm almost at the stage of fully enjoying my build only a few more touches to go.
                      Robert

Comment

congrats. must be a great feeling. I am working on my chimney now, cant wait. Your oven looks very nice
                        Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...land-8759.html

Member WFOAMBA

Comment

Nice looking oven - which brand is it?
                          / Rossco

Comment

It's the Mediteranean Woodfired Oven DIY family size one. Bought it direct from the warehouse in Balcatta.
                            Robert

Comment

OK - I have the larger model - installed by the company about 8 years ago. Back then there were only a few around and everyone thought I was a freak for buying something that belonged in a restaurant. Have had plenty of use out of it that's for sure.
                              / Rossco

Comment

Working...
                              X