wood for the base?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood for the base?

to save time and money I was thinking of supporting the hearth slab with a framework of salttreated 6x6s. Think there would be any heat/combustion problem? the rebar coming out of the slab would rest of the 6x6s but could they transfer enough heat to matter if it was wood??? thanks, bruce

Re: wood for the base?

Wood bases are not recommended. Wood is flexible, and masonry is heavy and rigid. A rigid support will help you avoid cracks. It's not a heat transfer problem, as the bottom of the support slab barely gets warm if your insulation is working right.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I used a wood base for time, money, weight, reuse and sustainability reasons, but it was for a clay oven. Quite a few people build clay ovens over a wood base, but I wouldn't do so if I was building a brick oven. Like dmun says, there's potential movement which will cause cracks.
      My Clay Oven build:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...dah-12821.html

Comment

Clay/wood - no prob.
        Brick/wood - er, I dunno... Dmun is right - masonry isn't very forgiving. But on the other hand, a floating base (no direct linkage between hearth and floor) shouldn't have that problem as long as it's contained (floating off the edge would be a bad thing... )

I'm not sure you'd actually be saving much in the way of time (money would depend on sourcing). Even a wood base needs a foundation and laying block on a foundation isn't likely to take that much more time - especially not if you're using carriage bolts. (You could cheat with block and only do two walls as long as you reinforce them.)
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
        [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
        X