Michelle just starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michelle just starting

Hi, I am brand new to this forum and looking forward to building our oven. I am excited and scared all at the same time.

My husband and I decided to tackle this project because I thought it would be cool to be able to cook without electricity and it would lk really cool by our outdoor fireplace area. We live in hot Gilbert Arizona (Phoenix).
    We have the foundation completed. Now comes the actual oven.

We do not know the best place to get high temp mortar or the "Indispensible Tool".

Michelle

Re: Michelle just starting

michelle,
    Congratulation, on starting your wfo. I am in Oregon so I wouldn't know about supplies in AZ. I would suggest to check with a local supplier of masonry supplies or a mason. I think that most people buy misc. stuff from Home Depot to build their own indispensable tool. I have yet to start my WFO, waiting for the wife's OK. I have gathered most of the supplies. Good Luck.

Comment

Thank you for your response. I'm waiting for my husband to get started. I have hunted high and low for med brick, that is nigh impossible. I found one place, but extremely expensive. Appears everyone used low firebrick. have you decided what you are going to use?

Comment

There is no cooking advantage to medium duty firebrick. You probably wouldn't know the difference if they weren't harder to cut than the ordinary fireplace duty bricks. If you were building a blast furnace that ordinarily ran at metal melting temperatures, you would want the highest rated brick you could get your hands on, but for pizza it's not needed.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

YAY!
          Did you search the threads here on "indispensible tool"? I cobbled mine together with a hinge, a shelf pin, some threaded rod and an angle bracket, but there are all manner of combinations of random garage junk that will work.
          Have you considered ordering the supplies from Forno Bravo? Depending on what you mean by "very expensive" it might be your best bet, particularly since you are so close to CA and shipping might not kill.

Comment

I did consider ordering it from Forno Brave, but when I called and asked, I was told they do not sell it.

So I guess we will have to make one. I perfer to but though.
            Michelle

Comment

Hi,

I'm in Glendale, across the valley from you. PM me and I'll tell you where to get materials in Phoenix.

Cheers,
              Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Working...
              X