permits needed to use wood burning oven in back yard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• permits needed to use wood burning oven in back yard

I live in Glendale CA. I wanted to know if I need to get any permits from the city, health dept, or fire dept? Also how can I control smoke and possilbe embers that might escape from the chimney. Thanks.

Re: permits needed to use wood burning oven in back yard

Ozzie,
    As for sparks/embers- if you are using a stainless chimney they usually have a spark arrestor screen mounted on the top. As for smoke- this is a wood fired oven and it will smoke, especially on start up or if you close down the air inlet to smoke meats.
    Eric

Comment

Permiting: A freestanding oven is usually considered a masonry barbecue and exempt from permitting if you maintain the standard setbacks from the property line, by building departments. Yours may vary. If your oven is built into the house, you will need a full permiting process, for liability and insurance reasons if nothing else.

As far as wood burning controls: it will most likely be considered the same as a wood burning stove, although there are sometime exemptions for cooking appliances. This is a strictly local matter.

There was a recent thread on smoke reduction:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/...oke-13677.html

Welcome, and good luck with your project.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Really, your best answer is to go to the city and ask them... it matters not what we all think you do or don't need. Although, if something in particular comes up that presents a problem, I'm sure many will help.
        My oven (for now):
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Comment

DMUN what are the standard set backs that you are familiar with for the property line?

Comment

I agree with the previous posts. I went to my local fire marshall and he was all for it, as long as I followed the rules. Mostly Closer than 10 feet to combusables is not allowed. Chimney 2 feet higher than higest point if closer than 10 feet to a structure, 10 feet from porperty line. Open fire pits, 25 feet to combustables.

Local rules always trump general advice. My fire dept and Marshall were very helpful. Take a decent drawing and description of where you want to put it and they will give you the yea or nay.

Good Luck

Derk

Comment

All responses are spot on. We have discussed this in the past. When I contacted the city, they didn't have a clue. I was told to go down and pull a permit (our city needs money, go figure). When I contacted the fire marshal he simply told me to keep it 10 foot from any combustible material, ie. house, fence, ect... As far as smoke, can't help you there, I'm burning wood.

Les...
                Check out my pictures here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Another thing you might want to think about before deciding on your oven location is the general direction of wind and how the smoke might affect your next door neighbor.
                  George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

DMUN what are the standard set backs that you are familiar with for the property line?
                    Around here you can't build anything closer than five feet to the lot line. There are exceptions (mutually agreed upon fences and the like). Again, this is pretty much a local matter, and can vary from place to place.
                    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Set back from the property line is strictly a local issue. My city required a 10' from the back line and 6' from the side property line. My local permitting department didn't have a clue as to what I was building and asked some general questions like "is it inside the house?", "is it under a structure like your patio?". When they realized it would be in yard by itself and 10' ft from the house, he said go ahead. No permit, dwg, or anythihg. I figured they'd at least try to get some money from me.
                      My WFO project: http://picasaweb.google.com/stevprin/WFOSmallPhotos#

Comment

Originally posted by Derkp View Post
                        I agree with the previous posts. I went to my local fire marshall and he was all for it, as long as I followed the rules. Mostly Closer than 10 feet to combusables is not allowed. Chimney 2 feet higher than higest point if closer than 10 feet to a structure, 10 feet from porperty line. Open fire pits, 25 feet to combustables.

Local rules always trump general advice. My fire dept and Marshall were very helpful. Take a decent drawing and description of where you want to put it and they will give you the yea or nay.

Good Luck

Derk

same here...contacted the local FD and was told that as long as its a minimum of 10 feet from the house or the garage you don't need a "burn permit"....as far as building permits, the city told me that ifs a free standing structure and is less than 10 sq. meters in area, that I didn't require a permit

Comment

"Really, your best answer is to go to the city and ask them..."

That is the way to go. Regulations vary between jurisdiction. Your local municipal building staff will likely be very helpful if you explain what you are doing.

Document what they say. Even if they say there are no restrictions or problems, make a note as to the time, date and name of the person you talked to.

Comment

Working...
                          X