Florida Newcomer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Newcomer

Greetings from Pensacola. I was lucky enough to find this site after looking for alternatives to pizza stone cooking. At the time I had no idea what was available. As with everyone here, I've now become obsessed with building an oven. I've decided on a 42 inch tuscan design and have already found tons of information thanks to all of you. I look forward to the all encompassing ride.

Re: Florida Newcomer

Welcome! Must be nice to live somewhere where you can build year-round (at least when there's no rain). When do you start?
    Picasa web album
    Oven-building thread

Comment

Thank you for the welcome. I hope to start by the end of November. To start I have to move one of those huge Sam's club swing/play sets that took 3 days to set up. I'll also have to build in sections as I want to have an outdoor kitchen when it's all finished. Hate to be a copycat, but I'm working on reverse engineering the Anaheim Oven build from this site. I figure about a year for the total build, but the oven gets done first. I've read many of your threads, and appreciate your reply.

Leigh

Comment

Welcome aboard, you will find that this forum is very helpful, I built my first oven in Jacksonville, Fl, and now I am building my next one here in Orlando.
        All of my ideas and progress was taken from this forum.
        Take a lot of pictures.
        Salute

Comment

Thanks ef. I am looking forward to getting started and as you say, this forum has been amazing. The planning for my WFO area is almost complete and I'll post some pictures of the build area as well as a Google Sketchup of the dream. I look forward to the interaction of the forum.

Comment

Good to see another FL builder. Good luck, and I look forward to seeing your progress.
            My WFO project: http://picasaweb.google.com/stevprin/WFOSmallPhotos#

Comment

Thanks Steve. I just found out the negative side of living in hurricane country. As I related earlier, I'm going to try to copy the Anaheim Oven. I stopped by the building permit place just to make sure I was cool with the build. They told me not only would I need engineering for the foundations, I would need wind load calculations from an engineer for the pergola structure. Then architectural drawings of the home site plan as well as build drawings. All told about $850 just to get permits. My next major hurdle is to try to show my lovely wife how much nicer an outdoor kitchen would be with architect and engineer involvement.

Comment

I live in Florida as well, but I was told that I do not need a permit if the structure is less than 180 sq.ft., besides, I do not think they knew what I was talking about because I do not have a drawing, it is all in my head and that is what I said, so maybe it is different from county to county, but of course I do not know what an Anaheim oven is , althought I googled it, but got nothing.
                Good luck

Eddie
                hhtp://www.edware.net/

Comment

I think several factors come into play with rodeair's build and his local building dept.

1) The overall scope, design and size of the project, if he is trying to duplicate the Anaheim Oven, it is rather large. The pergola looks like it covers at least a 20' x 20' area. I am most certainly NOT a fan of my local building dept, but I would want them involved if my next door neighbor decided to bang out an open sided, wooden, semi-roofed, structure. If done wrong, we are talking disaster during any tropical system.

2) Pensacola is direct coastal......wind codes are much more stringent within 10 miles of the coast. Local codes can also be more strict than the state guidelines.

3) Fire codes - a wodden structure within close proximity to a fire source

Although this project is going to cost you; getting the proper engineering, permits, and plans is the right thing to do for this project.
                  Personally, I am in the same boat as Eddie. My oven fell into the free standing BBQ category. Since it covers less than 100 sq. ft, has no roof (igloo), and has no power or plumbing run into it, the building dept gave me a pass. Although they did mention any poured concrete slab needed a permit and inspected (I didn't bother). National Fire Code was mentioned by my local fire chief and followed.

RT

Comment

Thanks for the response guys. As you said RT, the codes here in Pensacola are pretty stringent. I think the wind loading on the structure has to withstand 160 mph winds. Hurricane Ivan in 2004 decimated this area although i was one of the fortunate ones. I considered the same points you guys mention and will feel much safer and better when I am sure the footings for the pergola and the overall design is sound. Eddie, the Anaheim oven pictures are part of James's collections. If you go to the gallery of "finished ovens", it's on the last page. There were several in-process pictures which I was able to convert to drawings and dimensions. I'm hoping to have the permits by the end of November and get a start on it. I'll be taking it a bit slow because it will be costly and it'll be all DIY. Thanks again for the interest.

Leigh

Comment

Well here it is three months later. I did get the plans and engineering done. The foundation the engineer requires covers the whole 460 sq ft footprint of the build with substantial footings for the column supports. I figured about 8 yards of concrete for the foundation. Other than that, and the pergola reinforcement, the rest of the build should be what I figured at the start. Right now I'm going through the permitting process. Even though I didn't include water service to the kitchen area, I have to have a health dept. permit. That required getting my septic tank pumped and a drain field inspection from the dept. They said about 2 weeks before that can be done. (another 500 bucks). I have used the time playing with google sketchup. What a great tool. I have been building the area one cinder block at a time. This has given me a good idea of the layout as well as a list of materials. Can't wait to get started. I have continued to get lots of planning ideas from this site which is much appreciated.
                      Leigh

Comment

Originally posted by rodeair View Post
                        Well here it is three months later. I did get the plans and engineering done. The foundation the engineer requires covers the whole 460 sq ft footprint of the build with substantial footings for the column supports. I figured about 8 yards of concrete for the foundation. Other than that, and the pergola reinforcement, the rest of the build should be what I figured at the start. Right now I'm going through the permitting process. Even though I didn't include water service to the kitchen area, I have to have a health dept. permit. That required getting my septic tank pumped and a drain field inspection from the dept. They said about 2 weeks before that can be done. (another 500 bucks). I have used the time playing with google sketchup. What a great tool. I have been building the area one cinder block at a time. This has given me a good idea of the layout as well as a list of materials. Can't wait to get started. I have continued to get lots of planning ideas from this site which is much appreciated.
                        Leigh
                        Leigh, you are a patient person!

Your attachment, is it a google sketchop or a real picture? It looks like it could be real to me....A very good looking area in any case.

Hang in there, you'll make it happen.
                        Lee B.
                        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Hello Lee. That's the picture from this website that started my WFO journey. I tried to upload my sketchup, but was unable to do so. I uploaded that one to show the hopeful end result of all this. If anyone can give me pointers to upload a sketchup, or if I can figure it out, I'll post a couple.
                          Leigh

Comment

figured out the sketchup upload I think

Comment

That is a relatively big project you have there....Good luck with it. I get the impression that you will enjoy the journey.
                              Lee B.
                              DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Working...
                              X