Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from the mile high city and Happy Thanksgiving!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from the mile high city and Happy Thanksgiving!

Planning on building an oven this summer, has anyone put soap stone on the oven floor instead of brick for a smoother surface? I am a General Contractor in Denver and am starting research to ad an oven to my outdoor kitchen.

Re: Hello from the mile high city and Happy Thanksgiving!

Hey Big E,
    Welcome to the forum! Let me know if you need help sourcing materials in Denver. I have read that soap stone is suitable for a hearth, but bricks are probably cheaper and easier to replace if you had a crack...
    Smooth is not really a problem. The bricks lay plenty flat and your bread gets some nice brick marks on the bottom...

Drake
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Hi Big E and welcome. There has been a lot of discussion about soapstone on this site. It's a great alternative as a hearth material. More expensive, but better thermal properties. Suggest you search on soapstone on the forum and see all the discussions.
      Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

thanks for the response looking forward to getting started; still gathering materials. I did look up soapstone on the forum just after I posted and there are many discussions. Have a great day!

Comment

Welcome to the group Big E!

Be sure to surf the other forums and take time to look at all the differnt builds. Pretty quick you will see that there are some really good builds (Les, Dino and far too many others) and some marginal ones (like mine!) In some of the builds there are diagrams and drawings from folks who used solidworks or autocad (saved in PDF format.)

Don't forget to share your build in the Pompeii forum (if that is what you are building.)

Best of luck with your build!
          Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Working...
          X