My Geodesic refractory dome oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Geodesic refractory dome oven

I would like to start by saying thank you. This site has inspired me every step of my oven obsessed path. I am on my second build. The first was a pompeii brick oven ( i built from the plans) which works beautifully...but I have a client that wants one so....

Oven #2 - a geodesic refractory dome. I only just discovered the other geodesic builds today. This afternoon when I was dry fitting my pieces I was starting to get somewhat discouraged that I may have just wasted a lot of time and material - but hopefully now I can go back and make this work. I started this design mainly because I am in Canada and I need to make assembly on site in the spring easier. I chose castable refractory because I would like this oven to heat up faster. I spent my masonry apprenticeship cutting architectural cut stone so I am convinced I need to make the face stone pretty. I have a 2" slab of black granite I plan to polish up that I hope will accent the limestone...
    I have lots of work to do on it still, but any feedback is appreciated. thnks

Re: My Geodesic refractory dome oven

The face stone certainly is pretty....Not another one like it

Looks like you have things well in hand. Good luck when Spring comes
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Looks like you have thing well in hand. Keep posting photos, I have not seen many of these during the build and I am curious about them.

COME ON SPRING !!!

Comment

Thank you for the kind words...I hope the darn thing works! I am posting pics of my forms - ok yes funny -but they are functional and if this one works I will build bigger and better forms for the next one(s). I use a template of my inner pentagon & triangle to control the angle.
        I am on my second vent/door design and hope to have that done before the new year...

Comment

Intersting form design...Shows a lot of thought to keep them reusable.

Better lock them up a night, if they work they'll be valuable beyond your widlest expectation
          Lee B.
          DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Were you able to find a refractory product that will absorb the heat rather than reflect?

Comment

I've got a couple of questions...
              1. Why did you choose to build a geodesic dome? While very interesting, it wouldn't be a time saver.
              2. That's quite an arch piece. Did you find it somewhere, or did you cast that too?

PS- I may be in Minnesota now, but I grew up just down the QEW in St Catharines. =]
              My oven (for now):
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Of course. I did the same research to know which type duty brick to use for the pompeii oven. And which refractory mortars are compatible for each application. I first found my supplier(s) and then set up a meeting with each sales rep. We brainstormed my idea and i was able to decide on the best possible combination of materials for my ovens. Oh and it really helped that three of my fellow masons all worked in refractory so i had a general idea where to start. If you need more info...i'd be happy to share.

One mason friend used to mold garden gnomhs (sp) before bricklaying....lol. But i bet he could show me how to make better molds!

Comment

My shop is just 10 mins from the Qew in hamilton. Greetings!
                  1. The time saving would come with multiple pours and installing on site in the spring. I could assemble these ovens in half a day where the pompeii would take me much longer.

2. The panel and brackets are not cast. I cut and carved each piece from natural limestone. Check out my web www.harttstone.com

Comment

The panel and brackets are not cast. I cut and carved each piece from natural limestone. Check out my web www.harttstone.com
                    That is an amazing skill, wow! You sir are a craftsman.

Comment

Holy Schmoly! I agree with mn8ttr, you have got some SKILLS.
                      My oven (for now):
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Working...
                      X