No announcement yet.

Questions about transporting and setting up dough for a mobile pizza kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about transporting and setting up dough for a mobile pizza kitchen

Hello All -

I'm planning on a new mobile wood fired pizza oven business and of course I have many questions. I plan on having a fairly compact exposed trailer with little storage along with a covered truck bed to carry my tent setup, tables, ingredients, etc.

I'm wondering if any of you have experience with transporting dough and using it onsite. Currently I proof each dough in a separate container, but if I'm doing 60 to 80 pizzas, this could be very unwieldy. Can you cut each pie off from a large risen dough?

I'm very curious about this and any other insight/resources you may have.

Thanks so much in advance!

Aaron

Re: Questions about transporting and setting up dough for a mobile pizza kitchen

Howdy!

What kind of rig do you have?

I use stackable plastic dough boxes, 12 to a box.

PIZZA DOUGH STORAGE BOX NEW CASE OF 6 - eBay (item 270713412671 end time Mar-10-11 02:34:33 PST)

This is a good dude to work with. He'll take $50 bucks. They work perfectly and are airtight.

How do you propose to keep them at optimum temp?
    Temperature swings are the norm outdoors. Cold balls won't open and warm dough blows out.

Comment

Re: Questions about transporting and setting up dough for a mobile pizza kitchen

Thanks for the link, that looks like a really good option!

I don't have a rig yet, but researching it. You bring up a good question regarding temperature. Does anyone have suggestions for keeping dough at the right temp in a mobile setup?

Thanks again!

Comment

Your health department may have a say in this. They get weird about food held at room temperature. It's rumored that the ubiquitous "slice" trade may be outlawed in NYC soon, for just this reason.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

You are going to need big NSF ice chests at the very least. This all depends on your local codes. I carry a refrigerated prep table. Doughs that are an hour away are stored in the fridge while the online doughs are cross stacked to acclimate.
          Not sure about the "room temperature" part. This is all within the ServSafe Guidelines.

Just google "mobile wood fired pizza" and you will see a bevy of offerings.

Comment

Working...
          X