First timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First timer

Having just signed up to the forum this will be my first posting.I am a semi retired bricklayer and have worked as a refractory bricky on a wide variety of jobs over the years.I built my first WFO probably 20 years back. I think the forum is a great thing and find it very interesting. Two weeks back I put pencil to paper and started to design up a new WFO. I have just purchased the side arch bricks for the internal arch not cheap at $4.40 Aus each.The oven will be hard refractory keying into 135F Densecrete castable with SS needles then 2" blanket followed by Vermiculite/Fondu mix then render. Once things start to reach picture stage I will post them "Slowly slowly catchy monkey" Take your time and do it right.

Re: First timer

Welcome Bricks I just assembled a casa2g modular don't have the time to build one from scratch you being a pro could probably whip one out in a week
    maybe when I have more space

Comment

Your vermiculite mix doesn't need expensive "fondu" refractory cement, particularly outside your blanket. Portland works fine at brick oven temperatures.

Good luck with your project
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hi Dmun so just regular portland will do for the outside over lath?

Comment

Once portland is away from the heat its fine.

Welcome Bricks. where abouts are you?
          $4.40 each is dear, Ive bought mine in Melbourne for $3 each.
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

On the issue of fondue verses portland/ geelong cement over fondue I use a separate barrow to mix in as normal cement can alter the properties of castable concretes therefore I prefer to keep normal cement out of the equation.The hard refractories Im using are 42% alumina which only have a +- .01% after firing thats 1mm over a metre I live down past Geelong but I do buisiness with a supllier up past melbourne. One other tip when mixing castable concrete always check the specs for mixing temp. Years ago one hot summer we were casting blocks out of high temp concrete and ended up chilling the water for the mix.Just one experience.

Comment

Working...
            X