Which bricks should I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which bricks should I use?

Hi there I would like to know if anyone can tell me if refractory bricks obtained from the inside a kiln in a closed down Pottery manufacturers will be ok for linning my pompei oven. They are off white in colour and quite light in weight resembling polystyrene almost.
    Many thanks
    J

Re: Which bricks should I use?

Originally posted by tenpin2 View Post
    Hi there I would like to know if anyone can tell me if refractory bricks obtained from the inside a kiln in a closed down Pottery manufacturers will be ok for linning my pompei oven. They are off white in colour and quite light in weight resembling polystyrene almost.
    Many thanks
    J
    I'm using recycled firebricks from a giant kiln. The kiln was used to make bricks for the building industry. My bricks were not around any contaminated products or processes, so it is an acceptable risk for me. After exposure to pottery products, will those bricks be contaminated with something detrimental for your health? You will have to live with the risks, so do your due diligence finding out.

How much do the bricks weigh? Will they float in water? I ask those questions because a 'white' brick might be an insulating firebrick (insulated firebricks will float in water) and not suitable for a brick oven.
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Re: Which bricks should I use?

Thanks for your advice, the bricks weigh 4lbs and don't float but when heated for 3 hours in my oven on 250 degrees they cool down quite quickly and can be handled after 30 minutes.
      Thanks again
      J

Comment

Working...
      X