Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Morning from Clear Lake, Iowa

Hello All,

I'm going to let the cat out of the bag, this is my first post! I have been under the radar here for a little while and thought this was the right time to step in and say HI.

My name is Mark, my wife Linda and I with our two Shetland Sheepdogs live on a small acreage just on the south side of Clear Lake, Buddy Holly's last concert. Hobbies are collecting vintage snowmobiles, cars, boats, BBQ and now building a wood fired oven.

How I got here was simple, (NOT), we started a garden 3 years ago and for a couple of years before that my brother and his wife would bring over this wonderful home made salsa for get togethers, it really was good. After they saw our garden they tought us how to make there salsa and away we go. We started giving it away and everyone commented on how good it was so last fall we took a quart up to the fall festival in town and won the mild award!

Well a customer called the saturday of the festival and said I was going to bring my boat out for storage but I got roped into judging a salsa contest and I think you won. Next saturday he came out with his boat and we talked about the contest, there were 125 different salsa's in three divisions, mild, med and hot. Needless to say we were quite pleased with what had taken place and I gave him a quart of our pride and joy.

The conversation kept going and he said we'll have to have you guys over next summer as were going to build a wood fired pizza oven in our back yard, and that's how I got here. At this time I have three pallats of white firebrick and yesterday I went and picked up 800+ red clay firebrick so now we need to start getting serious and pick a place to build around the house.

I was wondering how many others here are in north Iowa? If so would it be possible to come look at your oven, oven's as feeling is much better than a picture.

I will do my best to respond to all and as this oven takes off, ask for help when needed, listen to positive feedback and send in pic's of progress.

You all have a great day and thank you in advance!

Mark

Welcome

Quite a story behind your your coming out from under the RADAR

Three pallets and 800+ clay bricks....It sounds like you will have a LOT of ricks leftover. Most ovens built with the pompeii plans take between 200 to 300 firebricks, all depending on oven size and how many mistakes you plan to make

Do a lot of reading before you start. My advice is here. It (construction plans and information) is all here on fornobravo.com, you just have to sort through a lot of threads to find it.
    Last edited by Lburou; 03-27-2011, 05:44 PM.
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Re: Good Morning from Clear Lake, Iowa

Thanks Lee,

The more I look around the more help I'm going to need, I think? Of the builds you have in your nubie list I'm taking a liking to hanson horner as he is in the same part of the country but they are all really sweet.

I wasn't sure on the number of brick and the three pallets of white fire brick were free, the 800 red clays cost me $100.00 so I'm doin ok as far expense goes and may be able to make a boo boo or two and still have enough.

One question I do have is placement, where do a lot of folks put there's? I know is a personal thing but I'd like to do it right the first time (famous last words). Should I ask here or start a new thread?

I have downloaded the plans just not printed them out yet but were getting close. Thank again for your help.

Mark

Comment

Re: Good Morning from Clear Lake, Iowa

Originally posted by Thats Hot View Post
        Thanks Lee,

The more I look around the more help I'm going to need, I think? Of the builds you have in your nubie list I'm taking a liking to hanson horner as he is in the same part of the country but they are all really sweet.

I wasn't sure on the number of brick and the three pallets of white fire brick were free, the 800 red clays cost me $100.00 so I'm doin ok as far expense goes and may be able to make a boo boo or two and still have enough.

One question I do have is placement, where do a lot of folks put there's? I know is a personal thing but I'd like to do it right the first time (famous last words). Should I ask here or start a new thread?

I have downloaded the plans just not printed them out yet but were getting close. Thank again for your help.

Mark
        Mark, you will do well to start a new thread in the Getting Started forum. But, I'd look around for a while first, you may find your answer that way. The gallery is a great resource for that purpose. I could use a few do-overs myself

P.S. Well done on the bricks!
        Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Working...
        X