Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indespensible tool

Hi all,
    I am in the process of building a 42" Pompeii from the FB plans (pics to post soon...), and have a question about the indispensable tool. It seems many posters have written that they change the length of the tool during the dome build, some every new course of half bricks and some less often. i can't understand why if we are trying to achieve a hemispheric dome, and the pivot point is in the center of the dome, the length would change? I can understand it if you are doing a soldier course without tapering, or a full length soldier course, but after the soldier course (which you don't need the tool for), the length shouldn't change should it? If it does, how do you calculate the length/angles?

Thanks in advance!

Rlodad

Boca Raton, FL

Re: Indespensible tool

rlodad,

You are correct. A fixed IT will produce a true hemispherical dome, only. Like many builders, if you seek to achieve a slightly flattened dome ceiling, you must make adjustments to your profile tools, whether it be a template or adjustable IT. It is possible to employ a fixed IT with soldiers, provided you make the proper adjustments, but the benefits of soldiers are negligible. The following illustrations may be helpful.

John
    Last edited by GianniFocaccia; 04-21-2011, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Re: Indespensible tool

Thanks a million! The third pic was exactly what I needed to picture the dome.
      rlodad

Comment

Working...
      X