Am I mad!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I mad!!

good day folks, as the title asks " Am I mad".

im not a builder, not a whole load of experience and i want to build a wood burning oven from scratch.

I do hope that you are a kind and patient lot, as i feel a whole load of questions being posted over the next few months.

well im going to go and read a load of previous posts and hope to catch up with some of you soon.

So Hi from sunny (at the moment) Scotland.

Re: Am I mad!!

Welcome Scotty!....I'm sure you'll find all the info you will ever need here....
    of course, I know nothing....but I'm sure any questions you ask will be answered....

Comment

Originally posted by 1a1n View Post

im not a builder, not a whole load of experience and i want to build a wood burning oven from scratch.
      You would be surprised how many of us had very little to no experience in masonry. In a year you will look back and say "damn - I'm a mason". Enjoy the adventure!
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

1a1n,

Howdy from Texas.
        I too am starting a WFO build and was out all day cutting trees, and moving concrete blocks, dirt, gravel and getting ready to not only start building my Wood Fired Oven but finishing the landscaping work around on the south/east side of my house I started eight years ago but never finished. I am so excited and inspired with my new interest of cooking Pizza/Bread in a WFO because it was the 'missing piece' of my kitchen patio 'look' and the culinary 'focal point' of the entire south/east side of my house/yard,
        the 'kitchen patio'.

Also I am a Hamilton. I know Hamilton town is south west of Edinbourough but 'I can't spell it' as it has been 200 years. And that "the Hamilton deserted their kinsman the Douglas at the battle of Abercorn 1190 or so and went over to the side of the English. Thereby being rewarded with vast grants of land including the Island of Arron and the hand of the Kings own daughter."
        I have been making Pizza from scratch for 35 years and BBQ-ing too! Just been trying to figure out how to build a round shaped oven with square fire bricks. {???}

{And I hope you are not a Douglas}

Ciao...

Jack the Knife

Comment

Originally posted by jacktheknife View Post
          "the Hamilton deserted their kinsman the Douglas at the battle of Abercorn 1190 or so and went over to the side of the English. Thereby being rewarded with vast grants of land including the Island of Arron and the hand of the Kings own daughter."
          I really hope that a WFO came into play with that.
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by 1a1n View Post
            " Am I mad".
            Not yet but in time you will be totally insane about your oven build.....
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Ta (thanks) for the repiles, look forward to getting started and having a go. The good thing is i know where to go if i am looking for any ideas or advice.

no im not a Douglas.:-) although i married a Macgregor.

Comment

This is a great place for help and advice - from all round the world.

A particularly good forum - since once most people have finished their build - they keep coming back - always questions about technique or recipies...

It's been great weather this Easter in the UK for pizza...

Comment

jammyweb,
                  congratulations on a great display of your oven goods.
                  You must and should be proud.

Cheers.

Neill
                  Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                  Neill’s kitchen underway
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Hello 1a1n,

Simple question, simple answer. No, you're not mad......yet. Soon though, maybe.

Building a wfo from scratch is an exciting and intense project. Read the free Pompeii plans for construction instructions and do your best to gather the right materials if possible. There are a few scratch builds in Scotland and many in England. We'll be here to assist when you need us.

By the way, we have a Barclay in the family. We see him often. I read your posts and hear his accent, interesting how that happens. It is a small world we live in. We share interests from across the ocean or across the street. Welcome !

Cheers,
                    Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

I started my WFO in Texas last March while I was living in Chicago. I have the dome just about finished! I hope to finish the dome around July of this year. Why so long you ask? Well now I am living in Saudia Arabia.
                      I can't wait to get it done

Gary
                      Last edited by gdest; 05-01-2011, 03:41 AM. Reason: Signed my name

Comment

thanks again for the encouragement. i have read and read and read a wee bit more. looks like i will have to take the plunge and get started soon, got a plan in my head, know where it should be going, just got to get into it.

the great thing so far is that any question that has poped into my head, has been answered in a previous post somewhere.

i will take pics and post them as i go along..

cheers

Comment

I say "NO",
                          But there are many Non-Believers out there that would say "Definitely".
                          When I showed up at work yesterday with 2000lbs of firebrick in my truck and explained to my co-workers what I am building, most of them said "Your NUTS". While for most of them its hopeless, I hope to gain a few Converts (aka helpers) over the next few months.

Good luck with your build, and have fun.

Mark
                          My build thread:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/m...-mn-15832.html
                          My oven build pictures:
                          http://markandcherylscabin.shutterfly.com/pictures/178

Comment

Hi 1a1n!!

Welcome to the FB Forum! Well.. let me start by saying that "being mad" is all relative. If it is about our WFO building, then possibly. If it is about cooking/baking great pizzas & breads and enjoying them with family and friends, then no...

No worries, our significant others will soon "convert" to our side once our ovens start dishing out beautiful and tasty meals!

I have yet to finish my WFO, and my wife has been very patient, but I know that she will "see the light" once it's all done!

The FB members here have experience and are always willing to help out a new WFO builder. They have given me valuable advice!

Post pics of your build! And most of all, have fun while you're building!

aceves

Comment

Working...
                            X