Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Eastern Idaho

Hey Everybody,

I have been spending WAY too much time on this site since I found it a few weeks ago. I think my wife started to think I had a girlfriend or something. I am totally excited to get started on a WFO but very scared at the same time. I have absolutely no experience in masonry or anything like it so I am cautious about taking on such a project. But then I look at all the amazing pictures of the results people are getting and I REALLY want one. Even my wife is wanting one too, so that is good news. Any advice on which forums to be sure to cover before I start would be greatly appreciated. I will need all the help I can get.

Thanks in advance!

Nate
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...two-21068.html

Re: Hello from Eastern Idaho

Greetings. I used to live in Idaho Falls. I have been looking at this site and checking things. I would reccommend looking at the following thread found in the newbie forum. A newbie’s survey of the Forno Bravo treasures hiding in the archives ( 1 2)
    I am still new enough that I don't know how to add the link. This thread contains several well documented builds that can answer most of your questions. Also I would strongly recommend downloading the pompeii oven plans from Forno Bravo.

Comment

Welcome Nate! Read through the FB plans and a few threads. One really-well doumented thread is Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts. Also, look at tons of of pics and try to read through the Stickies in each of the Forum categories - they're kind of like answers to technical WFO FAQ's.

Having a wife on board a WFO project is priceless.

John

Comment

Welcome Nate

I have a brother in Thayne, Wyoming.....A pretty part of the country for sure!

The thread referred by BriggsARNP is here.

John is correct, having the entire family on board is truely a blessing.

Good luck!
        Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Hey guys,

Thanks for the support and those links. I was looking through a few of them and I have a few questions already and I have also started to read the oven plans. Thanks again for the help and support. I will keep you posted of my progressive if I can ever get it going.

thanks,
          Nate

Comment

Hey Nate, greetings from Boise. I caught the same WFO bug in February you have now and broke ground in April. I finished curing my oven last week and had my first pizza Friday night. I've had a blast with this project. I'm currently framing the gabled house that will cover the oven and hope to have all the finish work done by mid July - before the new baby comes!

I'm not sure whether you're planning to do the pompeii route (brick by brick) or a modular kit like the casa. I tossed that decision around for six weeks and even poured the hearth before I made the decision. . . I opted to go the modular route which speeds the build up a lot (but is more expensive and I kind of feel like I cheated). I'm expecting though this won't be my only oven build so I'll do the pompeii next time. If you have the time and patience, go the pompeii route.

I look forward to following your progress.

For what it's worth, make sure you have the right tools. The following have been must haves for me in addition to what's listed in the Pompeii oven plans: Cement mixer, grinder (with masonry and metal cutting wheels), hammer drill, c-clamps, a good level, lots of gloves and tarps.

My build is here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/b...ons-15691.html

Comment

and just so everybody knows, I realize I misspelled Pompeii but now I don't know how to fix it. If anybody knows how to go in and change your name please let me know.

Thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pompei Nate View Post
                and just so everybody knows, I realize I misspelled Pompeii but now I don't know how to fix it. If anybody knows how to go in and change your name please let me know.

Thanks!!!
                No problem

I think you can edit your title, but it won't change every place it appears. We're friends here, and you have bigger issues to settle

A site Admin person can go into the backbone of the software and change the spelling of your name. Ask hiedi at the fornobravo store to help you (extension 14 I believe). She works miracles and knows others who do as well.
                Last edited by Lburou; 10-30-2011, 11:37 AM.
                Lee B.
                DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Hey Lee,

I finally took your advice and called Forno Bravo to have them correct the spelling of my name. I missed the name of the lady who answered but she was awesome. By the time I hung up the phone and refreshed the page on my computer it was all taken care of. Thanks for the advice.

Nate

Comment

Originally posted by Pompeii Nate View Post
                    Hey Lee,

I finally took your advice and called Forno Bravo to have them correct the spelling of my name. I missed the name of the lady who answered but she was awesome. By the time I hung up the phone and refreshed the page on my computer it was all taken care of. Thanks for the advice.

Nate
                    Awesome service you received there, Have you made progress on your oven? Fall and Winter will be a good time to plan and gather the materials you need.
                    Last edited by Lburou; 10-30-2011, 11:46 AM.
                    Lee B.
                    DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

I wish I could say I have made progress on the physical oven but that has not yet happened. However, the planning of the oven is moving forward and is coming together nicely. I have thought about starting to gather materials like you mentioned but because of a busy schedule with life and being careful with finances it has not yet happened. I can say I have started gathering hard wood at every chance I get. I even have a friend who owns an apple orchard with well over 1000 trees and he told me he has plenty of wood I can get from him just about whenever I need it. So that is about the extent of my progress. I am working on drawing up some rough plans and getting them up as well so everyone can see and evaluate. We will see how soon that happens.

Nate

Comment

Unlimited wood supply Nate? If that is the case I would certainly consider a larger oven (at least 42") and lots of insulation to keep it hot all the time. Lucky duck!

Comment

G'day Nate, great to see another in the fold, looking forward to checking your progress. Any questions you have will be answered with enthusiasm by any of the very eager people on this forum.
                          Good luck!

Russell.
                          Boom Shanker! (Neil - The Young Ones)

Comment

Working...
                          X