Greetings from Troy, Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Troy, Michigan

Hello Everyone - I am hoping to build the 42" Pompeii oven! I have been reading a lot on this site and in the forum and have taken away a wealth of knowledge from those who went before me! I have downloaded the instructions on building the oven and have read it several times.

My wife and I are big DYI people, in fact before I/we can start this project my wife has firmly said I/we need to finish our bathroom remodel! My goal is to finish the bathroom Labor day Weekend and hopefully get started after that with the foundation and the brick stand.

Stay Tuned!

Daniel & Betsy

Re: Greetings from Troy, Michigan

Welcome, I made a similar deal to start my oven. I am a big DIY person as well. We needed to replace about 8 windows in the house, so we agreed if I could do one a week, I could start the oven. Since I have been underway for a few months and only 3 windows done, I am hanging my head a bit, but the dome is done Good luck on the project!
    Leigh

Comment

Leigh - That's great your dome is done. You'll be firing up for pizza in no time at all. Keep plugging away at your windows! As for me I have to get the bathroom done. We actually started this remodel on Memorial Weekend, with the intent to finish over the long weekend! Sometimes the best laid plans never work out. I'm about 1/2 done so another long weekend should do it! LOL..... Then I can get started with my oven!

By the way what size oven did you build? I just saw your photos of your build....AWESOME!!!!
      I hope I can emulate what you did!

Thanks

Daniel
      Last edited by dpwork1; 08-12-2011, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Daniel and Betsy,

Congratulations on your endeavor! It's great to see another WFO in Michigan. I had no DYI and managed to get it done, so I'm sure you'll have no problems.

Best of luck!

Mike
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

Daniel & Betsy, Thanks for the kind words. It's crazy how much time and money is needed to restore a bathroom which is usually a small room compared to others. I built a 42 inch oven. The build I am emulating is from Dino_Pizza. I did alot of research as well, and their oven is engineered and built with alot of skill. I changed a few things, but the basic footprint, etc. was hard to beat. You and Betsy will have a ball building you own WFO.
          Leigh

Comment

Mike - I may be asking you for some names of suppliers that you used. I'm finding some of the materials are hard to find locally. By the way, do you or have you used your oven in the winter? Is there any harm to the oven because of the temperature variation from inside the oven to the outside during winter?

Thanks

Comment

Leigh - I looked at Dino's build as well, I liked that one too! What I liked especially in your photos was your version of the "indispensable tool". That seemed to make more sense to me.

Stay tuned!

Dan & Betsy

Comment

Let me know what you are having issues finding, I can point you to any material you will need in Metro Detroit.

Comment

Daniel,

I've had no problems using it in the winter. The only pain is digging out a path to the oven. If your dome is fully cured and dried out, the high temps won't be a problem. I usually start a little slower with the fire, but everything is still standing after a few winters!
                  Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                  My oven build thread

Comment

Thanks Shuboyje! I'll let you know. I'm just starting to gather materials. Can the FB board that is used in the build, can it be found here locally or is that an "FB" Item.

Comment

Originally posted by dpwork1 View Post
                      Thanks Shuboyje! I'll let you know. I'm just starting to gather materials. Can the FB board that is used in the build, can it be found here locally or is that an "FB" Item.

You may be able to find Refractory board locally as calcium aluminate board or actual FB board from a FB dealer.

FB refers to Forno Bravo
                      IT refers to Indespensible tool
                      HD refers to Home Depot
                      HF refers to Harbour Freight Tools
                      There are lots of other acronyms people use but this is a short list of the most common TLA's

TLA - Two letter Acronym for Two letter Acronym.

Chip
                      Last edited by mrchipster; 08-16-2011, 08:02 AM.
                      Chip

Comment

Harbison Walker in Romulus near the airport carries any refractory insulation you could ever want. If you are willing to do the labor and go the cheaper route of using perlite and Portland cement to cast an insulating concrete hearth instead I can point you to sources for perlite as well.

Comment

Chip - Thanks for the TLA Glossary LOL. It does help (can you see the light bulb over my head) when I read through the threads!

Thanks

Comment

Shuboyje - Thanks for the information. At this point I'm not sure what pros & con would be! I'll have to do some searching in the forum!

Stay Tuned!

Comment

Mike - After reviewing your foundation build, it never occurred to me to build the foundation below the frost line! More to think about!!!

About how many blocks did it take to complete your foundation to ground level?

Thanks

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X