Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from Hemet Ca.

Hi
    To start I have just started collecting materials for a oven I bought 50 firebricks yesterday and ordered the Makita 9557PBX1 4-1/2-Inch Angle Grinder with Aluminum Case from Amazon and will be going tomorrow to get a sheet of 3/4" plywood and some cinder blocks. I live in Hemet and I am retired and need a hobby. I am just getting over having 2 hip joints replaced and will be at this for a while. I have been reading this forum for the three to four weeks ever since I found it. I have seen a lot of builds and have changed my mind 30 or 40 times already. Every time I see one I tell my wife this is the one and then I look at the next one and there I go again. I am finding this forum helpful already. I hope I can contribute although I am not a Mason I have laid a brick or 2 in my time and poured some concrete not to code but by? I am not really sure by what.
    Thank you
    Hank

Re: Hi from Hemet Ca.

Hello Hank in Hemet, Ca.

My wife's aunt, uncle, and cousins, lived in Hemet for many years. We visited there with the kids once.

Well, fifty bricks is a good start, but you'll need more. I ended up using three different color bricks in my last build (36" Pompeii). You don't need to be a mason or even have much experience. All you need is the interest and motivation. Sounds like you have all of those plus a measure of enthusiasm, too. Best of luck and please ask questions as you go along.

Cheers,
    Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

I am just getting over having 2 hip joints replaced and will be at this for a while.
      Don't be afraid to recruit your friends and family for lifting and mixing. Also, getting you neighbors involved in the process will make them participants instead of potential adversaries.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

The only thing I am worried about is how many more friends will I have after I build it than I had before I built it

Comment

I did not mention why 50 bricks instead of the 200 or 300 it will take. I am just starting and need to accumulate what I need. We are buying a new home and I really don't want to move a couple of ton's of material's so I thought I could get a few and with the plywood draw a outline on it. I could then play with cuts and see what I may need to do. Besides telling my wife the bill is (*&^%+-Y) of dollars all at once left a lot to be desired. I can also layout both a 36" and then the 42" and have a idea of size. I will also be able to draw my Pizza's on it and wish.

Comment

Working...
          X