new to the forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to the forum

hello all i am about to build my first oven but am looking for plans and equipment list ie how many bricks ect for a aprox 48 to more than likely 60 inch oven to run a pizzeria bakery restaurant any help would be great from you guys in the us are there many uk members ?? i know the FB uk site is not very good and they that run FB UK are not knowledgeable of brick ovens only kits

Re: new to the forum

Hi Smallholder,

Welcome! There are several UK builders here on the forum.
    The first thing you need to do is download the plans from the FornoBravo store and read them through (several times!) until you get a good idea of the process.

The plans can be "ordered" from the store link on the Pompeii Oven page:
    Brick Oven Plans | Build an Italian Brick Oven
    You download the plans through the FB store. They are free, but you go through the motions of buying them to download.

If you have problems downloading the plans, there are also links at the very bottom of the page: Brick Oven Plans | Build an Italian Brick Oven to view the plans on the web.

The plans cover a 36inch and 42inch oven. You can easily use the same plans to scale up to a larger oven.

Look around the forum threads a bit and you'll find several builds of large size ovens.

Have fun!
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Welcome

Originally posted by smallholder123 View Post
      hello all i am about to build my first oven but am looking for plans and equipment list ie how many bricks ect for a aprox 48 to more than likely 60 inch oven to run a pizzeria bakery restaurant any help would be great from you guys in the us are there many uk members ?? i know the FB uk site is not very good and they that run FB UK are not knowledgeable of brick ovens only kits

Karangi Dude, (Doug), will be able to give you a number for a 48 inch oven. Good luck
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

hello all i am about to build my first oven but am looking for plans and equipment list ie how many bricks ect for a aprox 48 to more than likely 60 inch oven to run a pizzeria bakery restaurant
        You will need to make some decisions before you can determine the actual number of bricks. If you decide to use whole bricks that is un-tapered, you will use fewer bricks and more mortar. If you decide to taper your bricks you'll use more bricks but use less mortar.

If you're anything like me it takes a while to get your head around the basics of the oven and some of the details of your design such as, low dome vs high dome, arch style, floor material, and that doesn't even cover the decorative issues.

Good luck on your build, I lit my 1st fire today to start curing the oven and it has been a lot of fun and I haven't even cooked a pizza yet.

The people here on the site are very helpful and knowledgeable and most of the time we even answer stupid questions because we asked them before.

It will be very interesting to see some posts on a large oven.

Chip
        Chip

Comment

thanks i have the fb plans but not sure how to calculate the materials needed for a 54 inch floor but great forum and lots to see thanks to everyone

Comment

thanks i have the fb plans but not sure how to calculate the materials needed for a 54 inch floor but great forum and lots to see thanks to everyone
            A number of people are using Google sketch-up to do many of their mock-ups. it is free and does a nice job.

Chip
            Chip

Comment

Just by using quick round numbers, a 42 inch oven uses approx 35 bricks for the floor, a 54" would use about 56 bricks, and a 60" would need approx 70 bricks. As far as the dome, for a sixty inch oven you'll probably need another 300 to 350. Just a round number though. Just using quick calculations it appears a 60 inch oven uses twice the materials of a 42 inch oven.
              Leigh

Comment

that's about what i planed for but as i have never laid a brick i thought i would seek wisdom
                from those that know its a very scary task i am about to embark on ,my first restaurant ,my first brick oven, but one good thing i have is 4 months free rent to get it all put together hoping to open in November tonight i have the time to go thru a lot of FB threads as i am up all night with my bitch about to welp a litter of 2nd generation labradoodles alas i have a excuss to be on the pc all night with out my wife getting cross with me lol

Comment

Facebook
                  yew 10 pups delivered safely and now sleeping thank god these little ones will make it possible to have a 54 inch oven with a attached smoker and a grill in our new restaurant look forward to starting soon and sharing our progress with all you good people

Comment

Some help laying those bricks

If you want some assistance laying all those bricks, dmun shows a "bricky" brick laying jig to help lay the mortar in posts numbered 38-40 of this thread.

http://brickytool.com
                    Last edited by Lburou; 09-09-2011, 06:12 AM.
                    Lee B.
                    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Hello,

Knowing the precise number of bricks for an oven is nice if you are into formulas and statistics. The truth is, you will mis-cut bricks and decide on others that are better suited to the task because they are more uniform or more sound. This will increase the amount that any member may have recommended. The extra bricks can be used later for other aspects of the build. Please, do overestimate by 10%. You will always find a use for the remaining bricks in your project.

Old fashioned numeric calculations still work for determining the amount of materials needed for a project. You don't need a computer to do this. Even if a member told you how many bricks he used in his oven you may need a different amount. Bricks are not always the same dimensions due to manufacturing differences. Here is what I would do. Obtain your hearth bricks and measure them, then lay out a design using the
                      dimensions from the example brick. Then use simple math to determine the number of bricks to cover that area.

The method to determine the number of bricks in the dome is more complicated. However, an easy way is to estimate the amount you need then start your project anyway. If you need more then go buy them as you need them. Keep your receipts, then tell us how many you actually needed for your project. That may sound a bit flip, but it is as accurate as any other method.

Cheers,
                      Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

yes and thanks i understand there will be different number of bricks for each project i just wanted a round figure then i would add 20% and thus avoid shipping charges for a under order as its a min 50? to ship and where we are there isn't any local supply

Comment

Working...
                        X