Hello from the Philippines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from the Philippines

Hi to everyone out there! Can someone tell me whether it is possible to use a mixture of perlite and portland cement as inner dome material for an igloo oven? I have searched the Forum and seen it being used as the outer dome over insulating blanket, as well as hearth flooring underneath refractory bricks but not as inner dome...

Re: Hello from the Philippines

Hi Manolo,

Perlite/portland is an insulation material that goes on the outside of the oven to keep heat inside the oven. It is definitely NOT appropriate to put an insulation material inside the oven.

You want to build the oven with firebrick (or perhaps a cast refractory material) then insulate the outside of it with blanket, perlite/portland or both.
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Thanks, Ken...but aren't firebrick and castable insulating materials as well?

Comment

There is a BIG difference between insulation and thermal mass. Firebricks are thermal mass. They absorb and store heat. This makes them perfect for an oven. When you fire the oven, the bricks absorb the heat and keep the oven hot.

Insulation is the ability of a material to slow down the transfer of heat energy. Insulation doesn't absorb or store heat. Think of a Space Shuttle insulation tile: you can put one in a 2000F kiln for several minutes, pull it out and pick it up by the edges with your BARE HAND. This is because the tiles are excellent insulators and don't hold heat. This would be a horrible building material for an oven. An oven made out of space shuttle tiles (or perlite/vermiculite) would never get hot.
        Space shuttle thermal tile test - YouTube

Once you heat up your bricks, you want to keep that heat from transferring to the atmosphere and wasting all your energy (firewood). We use insulating products like ceramic blankets and vermiculite/perlite (or space shuttle tiles!). These insulators resist the transfer of heat.

For an efficient oven you need some thermal mass for storage and insulation to slow heat dissipation.

Here's a good discussion on the difference between Thermal Mass and Insulation:
        Thermal Mass vs Insulation | Tiny House Design

Now... Be careful when shopping for firebricks. There are "INSULATING Firebricks". These are very lightweight firebricks - they have a lot of air pockets in them to give them insulation qualities. These are NOT appropriate for building the dome of your oven.

Bottom line: Use bricks for the dome, use ceramic blankets and/or vermiculite/perlite and portland cement for your insulation.

Here ends today's physics lesson. If I've screwed up any information, I invite the pros to jump in and correct me!
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Comment

By the way, what part of the Philippines are you in? I was at Clark Air Base for a couple of hours last night.
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Comment

Thanks, Ken, I am in Quezon City, about 90 kms south of Clark Air Base...What brought you to Clark?

Comment

He's a CIA+M-I6, operative and if he tells you he would have to kill you.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
                He's a CIA+M-I6, operative and if he tells you he would have to kill you.
                Close, really close...
                I fly for a package delivery company. I'm hopping around Asia this week. Back home in a few days to fire up the oven!
                Ken H. - Kentucky
                42" Pompeii

Comment

See what I mean. He's what they call a "Cleaner", hops around dropping body parts all around Asia, and we know why he has to fire up the oven, right?
                  Last edited by Laurentius; 09-18-2011, 05:46 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Comment

Wow, so is this site a cover for some clandestine organization? Seriously, I work for a multinational with HQ in Boston, so Ken might have flown a "package" or two for us...

Comment

Laurentius, where are you in Japan, if you do not mind?

Comment

Hi Manolo54,

I'm in a coastal city named Kamogawa, in Chiba prefecture, about 75 miles from Tokyo. Tomorrow I will celebrate my 19th year here.

Comment

Congratulations...I like Japan very much as well. So clean, and I feel very safe walking in the streets.

Comment

Hi!
                            I'm also from the Philippines but i live in Germany. this forum has caught my interest (in fact i posted a comment sometime last year. we used to be in the bakery business until towards the end of 2010 when we forced to stop our business because my husband (german master baker) suffered a mild stroke. i've been researching about the materials for a wood fire oven. when you mentioned, you have to cover the outside of the oven with blanket, perlite etc. i take it literarily. the blanket material you're supposed to mean, what is this material made of? Is this out of PVC that you cover the roof of houses here with (in most european homes) before they put on terracota shingles? Can you please explain this further?

Comment

the above message was meant for Ken524. and i forgot to say thank you in advance. sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X