Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all, I am in New Zealand and have just started a Pompei style oven. I am at the stage of laying the base for the fire bricks. The support structure is plain hollow blocks four courses high just stacked on the 4 inch concrete foundation.

I am supposed to fill the blocks with concrete but don't think I will bother given their mass and weight. OK, I know we have earthquakes here but the oven will be the last of my concerns if anything does happen. Not sure if I will use firebricks or mud for the dome, no doubt I will find an answer on the forum.

Another query that I need to find an answer to is does the kindling material affect the taste of the cooking? I have heaps of eucalypt bark and twigs to get rid of?

I am following plans from here Pizza Oven Revised

Welcome

If you are stacking the bricks without mortar at the joints, then the fill inside (with a few pieces of rebar) is very important. Don't skip that detail in the building of the base. With regard to insulation, what kind and where does your 'revised' plan use insulation?

Insulation is one of the most important components of a high performance oven.
    Last edited by Lburou; 10-05-2011, 05:39 AM.
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Working...
    X