Rosa from Orlando

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosa from Orlando

Hello, my husband is starting to construct a wood fire oven. We are tryng to gather as much information as we can, because we don't want to make many mistakes and then regretted.This forum has fantastic information. Right now we are trying to figure out how much perlite and cement to use for a 42" oven size. Over here is very difficult to find the perlite and they only sell small bags. We know the ratio 5:1 but I want to know approximately how much of perlite and cement to use for that size. Also I am confused about how to insulate the dome. Do we have to cover the firebricks with the vermiculate/concrete mix alone or do we need to use the vemiculite/ concrete and some other insulating material.

Re: Rosa from Orlando

Welcome to the forum Rosa. I also did a 42 inch oven (in process). If you look at the larger nursery places, you will probably find the 4 cubic foot bags of perlite or vermiculite. A 94 lb bag of portland cement is 1 cubic foot. If I remember right a 5-6 inch vermicrete took about 1 3/4 bags of vermiculite and just over one bag of portland. Once the dome is done, you will use a ceramic blanket (3 layers of 1 inch thick typicaly)to insulate the outer dome. Hope this helps and welcome again.
    Leigh

Comment

Originally posted by tigrena69 View Post
      Hello, my husband is starting to construct a wood fire oven. We are tryng to gather as much information as we can, because we don't want to make many mistakes and then regretted.This forum has fantastic information. Right now we are trying to figure out how much perlite and cement to use for a 42" oven size. Over here is very difficult to find the perlite and they only sell small bags. We know the ratio 5:1 but I want to know approximately how much of perlite and cement to use for that size. Also I am confused about how to insulate the dome. Do we have to cover the firebricks with the vermiculate/concrete mix alone or do we need to use the vemiculite/ concrete and some other insulating material.
      Hello Rosa,
      My name is Floyd, I live in the Orlando area also and have just started to build my own 42 inch oven. Just finishing the stand so I have many questions too. It sounds like you are a little ahead of me on your project. Would you like to share ideas and resources for materials etc since we are in the same area?

Comment

Thank you so much, your information was very helpful.

Comment

Hello,

Where are you buying your firebrick? I'm in S. FL and cannot find a distributor.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountainman View Post
            Hello Rosa,
            My name is Floyd, I live in the Orlando area also and have just started to build my own 42 inch oven. Just finishing the stand so I have many questions too. It sounds like you are a little ahead of me on your project. Would you like to share ideas and resources for materials etc since we are in the same area?
            We finished the stand and the concrete base for the dome. My husband is working on his spare time, so we are not going as fast as we would like, but of course we'll share information.

Comment

Originally posted by nancy View Post
              Hello,

Where are you buying your firebrick? I'm in S. FL and cannot find a distributor.

Thanks.
              We bought our firebrick in a place call smokey valley stone in Clermont, Fl. I hope it hepls.

Comment

Working...
              X