X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• place of chimney new oven builder in the Netherlands

New Oven builder in the Netherlands,

Hi i am new here so much to learn.

I am planning to build a barrell bread oven inside ca. 1 by one meter(40inch squre)

I am just wondering what is the best place to build the chimney and why:
    - in front outside the vault
    - in front on top of the vault
    - on the backside.

Construction wise the backside looks interesting but if have not seen it on the internet often.

Most of the ovens i have seen have the chimney in the front outside the vault. It looks more difficult to construct to me.

All comment and building plans on barrel oven are most welcome.

Hope to start posting photo's soon.

Kind regards,

Peter

Re: place of chimney new oven builder in the Netherlands

Having the vent in front, with the chimney above it, means that the combustion gasses don't exit the oven until they've given up all the heat they possibly can.

Cool, outside air is pulled in along the bottom of the door opening to the fire; the resulting hot gasses rise to the ceiling and circulate to the front, where they exit through the top of the opening.

Putting a chimney in the top of the vault would let the hot gasses leave before the masonry can absorb the heat. A chimney in the rear would interrupt the circular convective flow, so you wouldn't get effective heat transfer to the front of the dome. It wouldn't burn as cleanly, either, since there would be less time for complete combustion to occur.

It's all about convection (for an efficient burn) and heat transfer (to store the heat). And insulation, to retain the heat. Lots of insulation, above and below...

Also, it goes without saying, but I'll say it: if you're building an indoor oven, make sure you adhere to all applicable building and fire codes.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by vtsteve View Post

Putting a chimney in the top of the vault would let the hot gasses leave before the masonry can absorb the heat.
      Not true, my flue is at the front in the dome and my oven gets very hot.
      A damper needs to be incorporated in the flue to keep the heat in the oven after the fire is out.

A Pompeii style oven would still lose heat up the flue and through heat transfer from the dome to flue bricks where they connect.

The oven build is available as an Ebook from Amazon
      Last edited by brickie in oz; 12-14-2011, 01:30 PM.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

The difference is that with an updraft system, like Brickies you lose a little heat out the flue because that's where the flame wants to go. With a cross draft system like the Pompei you use all of the flame. In a high temperature downdraft kiln you use even more of the flame and can achieve much higher temps. Having the flue inside the oven has the advantage of not having an entry to work past when loading or unloading the oven.My first oven was a hemisphere with the flue in the centre at the top of the dome, with a damper system incorporated. Contrary to other members opinions on this type of oven, it performed extremely well. However I think the Pompei design is better and that is the style I now build
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Have a look at the barrel vault build by tscarborough. It employs a thermal break, but looks to perform rather admirably.

Comment

Having the flue in front, or at least "outside" of the dome or oven allows you to use a door to preserve retained heat.
            Last edited by Neil2; 12-23-2011, 05:49 PM.

Comment

You can still have an oven door if the flue is at the top of the oven, but like Brickie said, you need a damper so you can close off the flue hole.

Comment

Ive found with the flue damper I have great control over the fire and how it behaves, once the fire is burning properly I partly close off the door and damper to keep more heat in the oven chamber.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thanks to all of you.

The traditional wood fired ovens in Holland have a chimney in front outside the oven.
                  www.mot.be | bouwen van ovenmond

I would love this system. But I am scared of the weight of the chimney as the Chimney will be maybe 3,50 metre heigh.

Regards
                  Last edited by peterenschede; 03-10-2012, 09:48 AM. Reason: Made a mistake

Comment

Originally posted by peterenschede View Post

I would love this system. But I am scared of the weight of the chimney as the Chimney will be maybe 3,50 metre heigh.

Regards
                    All you have to do is make sure the weight of the chimney has been transferred to the base rather than on to the top of the oven.

You could in theory make the chimney as high as you want or need.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

By using bricks at the bottom and a flue pipe for the rest of the chimney height you can make it both tall and light.

Comment

Working...
                      X