Clear All

Re: Hi all from Aussie

good onya rob....wheres the pics mate.
    Aussie Pete

250th Aussie on this forum...."so i was told"

Comment

OK
      Pics, please feel free to cretic my work to date, any usefull advice is very welcome.
      Got to loveworking in company issue clothes!!!!
      Now I look at the pics I realize just what a messing bugger I am when I get gloing.
      Might add clean site to start of tomorows jobs

Comment

nice ....your further than me with the build, i havent even finished tiling the top of my base yet.....argghhh
        Aussie Pete

Comment

Originally posted by robertjusher View Post
          Got to loveworking in company issue clothes!!!!
          Didnt they issue a dust mask?
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

HI
            Dust mask purchased today.
            I don't have work issue masks as I normally don't get dirty!
            After cutting my first brick I thought mask required. I wet the blocks to reduce it a bit but yep, mask required.
            I was trying to do the inner door stop arch and have decided the steel angle iron as shown in the plans is the go!
            Brought the last of the ingredents to make homebrew mortar to cost the outside and fill gaps. Hope to get a dry weekend and get that done.
            Rob

Comment

well...did a little bit on the tiling side of things today, have cut & laid tiles around edge of the base, hopefully will lay rest of tiles in the middle & up to the hearth bricks tomorrow (after some mowing to be done ). Its taking a while, but with all the rain & work, sometimes you can only do little bits a time.

Does anyone know if there is a thread on here somewhere about IR temp. guns?. Or does anyone have any minimum requirements one should have, i've been looking at one on ebay that goes up to 550C(about 1000F), is this enough??. Its not very dear either, so not sure if its any good or not. that one is from Australia also, not one coming from overseas, (although i bet they're all from over seas anyway ).
              If anyone knows of good quality ones here in Aus., please let me know of where and approx. price.

look at me....i'm trying to buy a thermometer and haven't even build the thing yet....(you gotta get excited about some things i suppose).

Will put up some more pics tomorrow, when i do more, was getting dark by the time i finished, so didnt get a pic.
              Aussie Pete

Comment

How's your oven going?
                I got 1 more row done and rendered today. Arch finished and flue sorted, still got benchs to finish etc. Had to quit for the day, wrist is killing me. Hope to give it another good go in the morning.
                I know what you mean about getting excited today. I too have been pricing peels cutters etc, .....
                Rob

Comment

g'day all again, well...i've done some more cutting of the sandstone tiles on the top of the bench. haven't glue'd yet, tomorrow hopefully.
                  looking ok for now, sorry still no pics, was getting dark by the time i finished, will do tomorrow.
                  Aussie Pete

Comment

I think you are game tileing then building the oven. I would wreck the tiles for sure if I tried that. I made a few batchs of home brew mortar today. Interesting stuff to work with. Seems and looks like mud to use. I think I got it in the gaps ok. Gave the outer surfaceI have done so far a light coat over the whole thing. Almost at once fine cracks as it dried. I will recoat the whole dome with 10mm or so when I finish. It does set hard fairly quickly and I am sureafter full curing it will be very solid. It's good to finally start a row of bricks with wedges. Kinda looks like what I was expecting.
                    Question for the wise.
                    The steel angle used in the plans, Will it rust away in the future? WIll it mater if it does. Going to be hard to replace it if it does.
                    ROb

Comment

I've asked this somewhere else, but i'll ask here on my thread too, i might add some stainless needles into the refractory mortar (for added strength, and minimise cracks), does anyone know where i can get them from,
                      are they just stainless nails?.
                      Are they really necesssary for the piece of mind?
                      how much do you add to the mix?

Is there a thread on here somewhere that goes into a bit more detail about using them.
                      Aussie Pete

Comment

HI
                        Total refractory has them. I have not seen them in the flesh but from pictures they seem like short bits of heavy duty steel wool.
                        Refractory Depot, Inc. - the Refractory Broker for specialty monolithics, refractories and brick products.

Comment

Originally posted by robertjusher View Post
                          The steel angle used in the plans, Will it rust away in the future?
                          ROb
                          Not if its Gal..

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Better not to use gal, it is highly toxic when the gal is heated up, bad fumes.
                            Also, because steel has much higher thermal conductivity it will get hotter faster than the surrounding refractory leading to faster expansion. Thiis needs to be considered. It is wise to leave a small gap in the refractory so the steel can expand freely.
                            Last edited by david s; 02-04-2012, 01:00 PM.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Isnt it only used as a support in the base?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Sorry, if it is only as a lintel for the base, then use gal. I thought you were talking about using it in the oven entry.
                                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                                X