Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie again in Perth, Australia

Hi all

I've finally restarted and reached the point where I'm about to pour my oven floor support; I live in Willetton and would appreciate contact from anyone else in the Perth area who's done this. I'm building the 42" Pompeii, high vault design. Current areas of query include:
    - does anyone have an indispensible tool they can dispense (loan) me?
    - what did people use for "shims" (wedges)? Make your own? Buy builders wedges? How many do you need, approximately?
    - from the photos in the plans, it looked like a dome takes about 25 bricks plus the first course. But I can only fit 20 bricks and maintain a 42" with 21" height profile. Anyone remember how many it took for you to lay out your trial dome?

That's it for an introduction - deadline is daughter's 21st on May 12!

Regards

John
    JT
    Willetton, Perth
    Western Australia
    My build: http://woodfiredovenperth.blogspot.com.au/

Re: Newbie again in Perth, Australia

Originally posted by jab49 View Post
    Hi all

I've finally restarted and reached the point where I'm about to pour my oven floor support; I live in Willetton and would appreciate contact from anyone else in the Perth area who's done this. I'm building the 42" Pompeii, high vault design. Current areas of query include:
    - does anyone have an indispensable tool they can dispense (loan) me?
    - what did people use for "shims" (wedges)? Make your own? Buy builders wedges? How many do you need, approximately?
    - from the photos in the plans, it looked like a dome takes about 25 bricks plus the first course. But I can only fit 20 bricks and maintain a 42" with 21" height profile. Anyone remember how many it took for you to lay out your trial dome?

That's it for an introduction - deadline is daughter's 21st on May 12!

Regards

John
    Hello John

-The Hendo tool is easy to make. I modified a cheap clamp/spreader from Harbor freight.
    -I tried to taper my bricks (something I wouldn't do again) and had plenty of pieces to use as shims.
    -I wouldn't worry about the brick count for each chain. Be sure you have the correct footprint marked, then fit however many bricks it takes to fit....Are you using a soldier or sailor course for the first chain? A sailor course will take fewer bricks than a soldier course.

HTH
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Thanks Lee.
      - any chance of a photo of the Hendo tool you constructed? Was it based on the tool at this link? 24" Ratchet Bar Clamp / Spreader
      - the link to your "1 metre oven" site appears to be broken (would like to see what you got up to if that's ok?)

Cheers

JT
      JT
      Willetton, Perth
      Western Australia
      My build: http://woodfiredovenperth.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Thanks Lee.
        - any chance of a photo of the Hendo tool you constructed? Was it based on the tool at this link? 24" Ratchet Bar Clamp / Spreader
        - the link to your "1 metre oven" site appears to be broken (would like to see what you got up to if that's ok?)

Cheers

JT
        The hendo tool is described in this post.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...heme-2985.html

My post "Chip's 42 in Minnesota" also has a different variation based on a magnetic "IT"

Chip
        Chip

Comment

Thanks Lee.

Cheers

JT
          Yes it was based on that exact Clamp/spreader. I adapted a caster and fastened it to one end. It was the simplest thing I could think of, it worked for me.

Go to my avatar and click on my member name to see my profile. You can navigate to my albums that way. I've tried to fix the link :-/

HTH
          Lee B.
          DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

"what did people use for "shims" (wedges)? Make your own? Buy builders wedges? How many do you need, approximately?"

I use wood screws. Cheap. Available in various lengths (you will need different lengths). Recoverable. Don't leave voids in the mortar.
            Last edited by Neil2; 02-09-2012, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X