Hello from AZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from AZ

I live in Mesa, AZ and am planning a 36" build. This site is amazing and I love all the participation and knowledge that people share on this site. It's perfect building weather in AZ right now, better get moving before summer hits.

Welcome

Its a good time to study the plans and make your own plan. Weather here in Texas for the last month has been absolutely perfect....Welcome weather for sure after last year's record hot summer.
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Re: Welcome

Lburou, Love your oven! Buying the block and am going to work on the hearth this weekend. I'll let that set up and then try to find some Fire Bricks. Can't wait! I can see this becomes addicting.

Comment

Re: Hello from AZ

We let our hearth (oven stand) cure for 28 days for strength, use the curing time to tweak your oven design ideas.

Baked beef stew in a Dutch oven yesterday, and corn bread in a cast iron skillet, all a day or two after pizzas. A great outcome, we are icing our shoulders today....for injuries caused by patting ourselves on the back so much
        Last edited by Lburou; 03-17-2012, 06:40 AM.
        Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

A great outcome, we are icing our shoulders today....for injuries caused by patting ourselves on the back so much
          Ha ha ha!!! Lee, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time! Isn't it wonderful when a dinner comes outs out magic like that?

John

Comment

Man you are killing me. 2 days later? That's awesome. Thanks for the curing info. That is usually about the amount of time I spend between projects anyway with the kind of schedule I keep but, I'll be home tomorrow and you can bet they'll be some blocks being dry fit for sure.

Comment

Nova,

There are several of us here in the valley who have ovens - I be down in Gilbert. Most of us have found Marvel invaluable for supplies (Country Club and Southern in Mesa.) HD does have brick, just not fireclay. I am brain-farting on the pearlite (up in North Phx - Simpson or something like that.) Pearlite is around $8/bag vs 30/bag for vermiculite.

I have been tweaking my oven for a while to get better draw from it. I unfortunately did not make my landing deep enough, so my tweaks are needed - especially noticeable tonight with the winds due to the incoming storm! However, I think I came up with a plan this eve to start the fix.

Check out us folks (see western US forum) and we be there.

Chris

PS - you are right about getting going.
              Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

C5 thanks for the info. Marvel not to far away so that will help out. I would love to hear any suggestions on changes you would make to the oven to make it draw better.

Comment

Nova,

Please feel free to contact any of us AZ wingnuts. We all have different perspectives of how to get to the end point and what types of ovens we have built! PM me - just be aware that I am not on the forum too often as I am working out in Globe so my computer time is limited due to long days.

CW

Comment

Will do. I called Marvel today and Firebrick was 1.79 a piece. Don't know if that's the norm or not. But picking up the rest of my block for the base and hearth tomorrow.

Comment

Hello to fellow AZ oven builders. I also live in Mesa and have just started my wood fired oven. I've got the foundation poured and picked up the blocks for the stand last week. My oven is being built in an area that is near center in the back yard and is 18" down from the rest of the yard with retaining walls and a patio stone floor. We did that two years ago in anticipation of either a fireplace or a WFO because our HOA limits the height of a chimney. I'll have a total of 9' of height to work with so should be OK if I use a large enough chimney opening. This forum and the Forno Bravo documents have been tremendously helpful.

Comment

I just picked up my blocks today from Marvel. Fire Brick seems a little steep thier so I'm looking into finding a better price. Let me know what you find. I usually am only home once a week so hopefully I can find time to knock some of this out. I live at Brown and Gilbert

Comment

Fire brick at Home Depot is 1.49 ea - that is actually cheaper than at Phoenix Brickyard (I-17 and 7th Ave). I was fortunate enough to score my dome brick for free.

CW

Comment

Originally posted by C5dad View Post
                            Fire brick at Home Depot is 1.49 ea - that is actually cheaper than at Phoenix Brickyard (I-17 and 7th Ave). I was fortunate enough to score my dome brick for free.

CW
                            FWIW, all fire brick are not equal. Any brick will do for the dome, but the floor makes a better surface with uniform bricks with as few cracks (in the bricks) as possible.
                            Last edited by Lburou; 03-21-2012, 07:54 PM.
                            Lee B.
                            DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

If I bought the good stuff for the floor and the the HD stuff for the dome would that matter, or should I stop being cheap and just buy the good stuff already?
                              Everyday I'm on this project it's getting bigger. Now its a BBQ/Pizza oven area, but it's gonna rock!

Comment

Working...
                              X