New pizza oven in Franklin, KY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New pizza oven in Franklin, KY

Got the dome done today. Went for a cold wet sail on Saturday.

Comment

Very nice build. I was just the opposite of you, was going to build one from the plans on this site, then found the barrel style and like it a little better. I think either style cooks well and are both versitile.
      You are moving right along with your build and I look forward to seeing the finished oven.

Comment

Took the day off to make some more progress. Going to let it rest for a couple of weeks and going to start curing out with fire on May 4. Hope to be eating my first pizza on Sunday.

Comment

New Pizza oven is ready to fire.

Took another day off to get this oven ready to fire next weekend.

Comment

Wow, I'm in awe of your oven John! Hope I can post pictures half as impressive as I get going on mine. I'm just at the pouring the hearth stage, can't wait to get to building the dome. Your pictures are certainly inspiring!
            My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

Nice progress, John. It's nice to see yet another barrel to pompeii convert, only in your case it appears you won't be compromising oven size since your support slab is quite large.

BTW, what did you use for insulation under the hearth?

Another oven-building brewer, I see? Keep the pics coming!

John

Comment

Yeah I'm a convert. Figure I will use the extra space for a concrete counter top so everybody can hang around the oven and eat pizza. I plan to finish the oven to expose the shape. The hearth is insulated with six inches of Zonolite in a 5 to 1 ratio of portland. Now that the oven is usable this all may be put on hold for weekend parties. Why work when one can play. The chimney in the photos has not been attached as I plan to cut it to height when I figure out which is best.

Comment

I just couldn't wait for a little fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                    Hi John,

I wonder how many of us have gone this route - I know I did.

Good luck!
                    Mee too!

Looking good John
                    Lee B.
                    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

I lie and cannot wait. It was great.

Comment

Got a few cracks here and there but no smoke and no harm no foul. If the thing cooks great who cares. I kept a very hot fire in this thing for over nine hours. I would recommend a more subtle curing if you had nothing better to do. But then again I have no leaks and the interior of the oven is now a sweet white grey. Absolutely no heat felt through any of the insulated layers. Cooked a large pizza in less than three minutes with a thick crust. I have no oven tools so I used a garden hoe and a big spatula to slide the pizza back on the pan after it was done. The arms are usually a bit more hairy. My twelve year old step daughter said the oven is cool. Enough said.

This Friday is the first pizza party. Derby Day should always be welcomed with a slight hangover and a mint julep.

Comment

Working...
                        X