Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New from Arizona

Hello everyone,

I just relocated to Maricopa AZ about 15 miles south of Chandler (Phoenix Metro)

I have for the longest time wanted to build / use one of these ovens. Being in AZ now gives me the time and weather to use and appreciate building a pizza oven.

My one question to the community is: Can I successfully build the pompeii oven? Now keep in mind I have zero, I mean zero masonry skills. I have downloaded the instruction ebook and can follow along and understand the steps, but can I actually do the work?

Its great to find such a great site dedicated to pizza ovens. Look forward to talking with you.

Welcome

A large number of people on this site have built a pompeii oven with little or no masonry experience.

Wade through some of the accounts of building an oven here and you will get a feel for questions that come up again and again. You will have the same questions as those who have gone before you....It is entirely likely that you can do the work necessary to build an oven.
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Re: New from Arizona

Chelsea,

Yes, you can have a successful oven in AZ. The challenge is to know where to get the materials. Marvel for most of the stuff and Pioneer/home depot for the rest. My outlaws live down that way and would be glad to discuss. PM me if you have Q's

Welcome to the desert and enjoy the "spring"

Chris

p.s. enthusiasm will overcome the lack of building experience. I build my house, yet had to learn another trade cutting bricks! It is not hard, but takes focus Grasshopper!
      Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Chelsea
        You absolutely can. I was in the same position as you and I did. I had done a fair bit of ceramic tile and thats about it. If you think about it, the plans sort of walk you through an introductory masonry course: forming and pouring the concrete base, building the block walls, etc.. Masonry gets tricky when you are worried about looks, like a brick veneer on a house, or strength, like a foundation wall. Your oven is a comparatively tiny structure, and the only thing which will see how even your brickwork is are your pizzas, and they tend not to say much!

My advice is take it easy, buy good quality materials, and think it through.

And always make sure everything is plum, level, and square. Makes it easier later on.

Comment

Thanks for all the welcomes, and encouragement!

Comment

Welcome Chelsea Man........

the only difference in my opinion between a professional masonry job and an amateur one is the fact that the pro job looks better and went up faster.......oh, and cost a LOT more!

Comment

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing you surprise yourself with what you can do. Have a crack and I'm sure you'll be pleased with what you can do!
              Boom Shanker! (Neil - The Young Ones)

Comment

Working...
              X