Just Getting Started Washington Coast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Getting Started Washington Coast

We are laying out our Island and have been looking at everyone's pictures we can for ideas. It looks like many of the inclosures put the oven quite far back in the opening, does anyone have advice for us as to what is best?

Re: Just Getting Started Washington Coast

In your planning, just remember that you need to reach (with the aid of various tools) the back of the oven. Our entry is three inches wider than the oven opening and only 15 inches deep.

Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

In addition to the standard entry depth, I added a 12 inch landing. I use it on occasion but I find that I use the counter space on the left more often (I didn't add much counter on the right, just enough for many beverages). With that said, I would make the entry as close to where you will be standing when you cook. Give yourself ample room on the left or right to place the food when it comes out of the oven.
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Re : entry depth. Check this thread:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f39/...eck-17629.html
        Last edited by Neil2; 04-23-2012, 04:04 PM.

Comment

My landing is not battle tested as of yet. But, I think with an extension on both sides of the landing running along an existing retainer wall, it will allow me to stand as close as posible to the oven and have the necessary work space.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

The most important thing is to plan ahead so you won't have any surprises along the way. Your entry (and entire build for that matter) can range from the pedestrian (like mine) to the sublime ( like the two above). You are using the gallery pictures, yes?
            Lee B.
            DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
              In your planning, just remember that you need to reach (with the aid of various tools) the back of the oven. Our entry is three inches wider than the oven opening and only 15 inches deep.

Lee,

You seem to have a lot of mortar popping out between the bricks of your decorative arch, Are you seeing some high heat in that area or getting a lot of water on it between firings?

What type of mortar did you use on the decorative outer arch?

I have not seen this in my oven yet but it may come over time.

Chip
              Chip

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post

Lee do you mean you reach 15" to get to the oven opening?

Comment

Working...
                X