Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Minnesota

Hello....

Just a quick introduction of myself.....

I am Kris from Minnesota and have the pizza oven itch.....

I need a mentor who can help guide me through my summer task of building a pizza oven in my backyard.

I have no mason skills what so ever. However, I have built many other things so with some guidance and the right tools and materials I am quite certain I can pull this off.

Would like to keep the build under $1000 if possible.

Drop me a line if you can help steer me in the right direction!

Thanks!

Welcome

Kris, you have come to the right place for mentors! There is a pack of mentors combing threads everyday, eager to share what they have learned. Just start a thread in the oven construction forum and you will find all the advice you need there. The more pictures you post in your new thread, the more responses you will get.

Good Luck!

P.S. Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.
    Last edited by Lburou; 02-27-2013, 07:56 AM.
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Re: Hello from Minnesota

Originally posted by knackjack View Post

I have no mason skills what so ever. However, I have built many other things so with some guidance and the right tools and materials I am quite certain I can pull this off.

Would like to keep the build under $1000 if possible.

Drop me a line if you can help steer me in the right direction!

Thanks!
      I have some material left over from my build including FB Insulation - board and blanket, and some double wall Class A 10 inch stainless Chimney sections.

I also have a 14 inch Brick Wet Saw that I could rent out cheap.

I live in Crystal, if this is convenient for you you may want to stop by to see the oven also.

Photo is oven as it is today.

Chip
      Chip

Comment

mrchipster.

That is quite the build you have there.

Do you have a full album of pics from start to present that you can share?

Lastly, how realistic is it to think an oven can be done for $1000 or less?

I'm just talking the core oven, not too much gingerbreading...

Comment

Kris, it sounds like you have found a local mentor

Several typical oven builds are listed in the blue link in my signature. Lots of pictures and discussions for you.
          Lee B.
          DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by knackjack View Post
            mrchipster.

That is quite the build you have there.

Do you have a full album of pics from start to present that you can share?

Lastly, how realistic is it to think an oven can be done for $1000 or less?

I'm just talking the core oven, not too much gingerbreading...
            My primary post is "Chip's 42 in Minnesota" take a look at that. You will see that I had some issues with free materials but I did get some of my things at significant savings by using Craigslist.

1000 may be a little tight but it clearly could be done.

A basic oven well insulated and a reasonable size 36 inch. Could be done, I spent significantly more but I think you can see the oven is more than a simple design.

Things I saved money on brick for surround 900 for $300 Craigslist
            Lights $50 total for 4 lights - thrift store.
            Steel structural roof I-beams $100 craigslist
            Standing seam roof $125 Craigslist
            Chimney sections $50 each but I had to buy 6 sections that is why I still have some left. Craigslist

I did not search out free concrete blocks but they are often available.

I also rented a bobcat to remove about 12 yards of dirt so I had a place to put the oven.

This is all part of a much larger project so it is hard to put an exact price on all of the materials but I think it came in around $3500

Send me a private message and we can discuss where you can save without compromising on performance.

Where are you in MN it is a big state?

Chip
            Last edited by mrchipster; 04-24-2012, 05:32 PM.
            Chip

Comment

What was your overall duration of the build, start to finish?

Generally speaking, what sort of footprint do these take up?

I was trying to go off some of the threads and pictures and it seems they are roughly 6' by 6'.

Comment

Finished.... What does that mean??

I started digging June last year and had my first pizza party in October. But.... The brick work is still not complete in the back and I still have counters to put on and doors to finish.

I did cook all winter and can keep cooking temps albeit lower through the week but i can cook all week in one firing.

Foundation is roughly 6 x 12 because of the prep table but the roof is 8 x 12 delta wing style.

I have a 42 corner install so 6x6 for that size is fine. If you do not plan for big party situations a 42 may be overkill.

Had pizza last night and oven is still 700 tonight.

Previous firing was Friday and oven was 400 prior to adding wood yesterday.

Where are you in MN, it is a big state?
                Chip
                Last edited by mrchipster; 04-24-2012, 05:32 PM.
                Chip

Comment

Chip,

I live down in SWMN in Luverne. I'm about 23 miles East of Sioux Falls, SD on I-90.

Comment

That is quite a hike, but you must give me a heads up next time you come to the twin cities. My treat on the pizza.

Chip
                    Chip

Comment

Actually, I am going to be there the weekend of the 18th of May.

The family and I are headed to a concert and mall of america for the weekend.

Would be cool to see your set up if we can work out a time.

Is the base design of these pretty much the same? I.e. cinder blocks, re-bar, and lots of concrete

I have been looking at all of the various designs and build pictures and I am eager to try putting one together.

I am wondering about the base though... I've seen some where they just stack the block and then fill with re-bar and cement and others they actually mortar the base together. Is that just a preference or is there a pro/con to doing such?

Also, what about the design is that preference too, meaning a corner design vs the traditional ones that I have seen? I suspect so.

Comment

KnackJack

I think the 18th would be fine. Check your private messages I sent you my cell #.

The Corner design I used was because of the space I had available and I had to fit the oven in and the only thing that seemed to work was the corner style.

Having the entrance on the side tends to give easier (think shorter reach) access to the oven and lends itself better to side prep table(s) but I had little choice due to my location.

I did the dry stack of the block and did 100% core fills. Because you are going to pour a 4 - 6 inch slab over core filled piers on a small low structure the need to grout each joint becomes somewhat overkill. I did a surround of St Paul MN street brick with a full roof so the enclosure is not gong to leak via the open seams.

If you are referencing dome enclosure vs house I would highly recommend a house with a roof or a Pergola of some kind over the dome. We get far to much rain and snow to use an unprotected dome finish. you need to keep this thing dry, and the dome enclosure seems to have trouble with getting wet when it rains. Several posts indicate that they even cover their ovens with tarps when it rains. For me that would be difficult because my wife would be irritated by the look of a tarp over the oven 50% of the time in the spring and most of the winter.

Chip
                        Last edited by mrchipster; 04-25-2012, 06:57 AM.
                        Chip

Comment

G'day, I really enjoy watching the new builds, looking forward to your creation!

Russell.
                          Boom Shanker! (Neil - The Young Ones)

Comment

How is the build coming along. Please send out some photos.

Chip
                            Chip

Comment

Chip ---

I am guilty of talking about things but tend to fail putting the plan into action.... things always seem to get into the way and I get side tracked with some sort of other project.

Last year I built a backyard shed and this year I am working on installing a couple paver patios....

However, I have a nook that I want to build an oven in.

I am taking sometime off at the end of the month to work on my second patio but would also like to get the oven foundation laid in this nook.

Looking for some advice for the size of the foundation and what block options is best.

I want to be sure at the end the oven and base is visually appealing.

I hope this post works since it's so darn old!

Comment

Working...
                              X