Hey folks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey folks

Hey there folks, just thought i would introduce myself.

My name is Richie and I live in the North East of England (UK) and I am planning to build a brick pizza oven, ever since i visited Italy (researching my grandfathers route during ww2) a few years back I have wanted to build one

it will be used for breads and Pizza's but was also wondering if i could cook the likes of Suckling pig etc etc.

I need to pick your brains on so many fronts for the build, but I will search the forums and see if i can get some of the answers to save you good people repeating yourselves.

Cheers

Richie

Re: Hey folks

Welcome to the obsession! These ovens (depending on the size you choose) can cook ANYTHING! If you want to see some awesome examples - go to Karangi Dude (whats cooking). I'm thinking every protein and green on the planet has passed through his oven.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Richie,

You've come to the right place to get answers on your oven design and construction. A lot of builders here like to cook everything too. Read through their build threads, learn from their mistakes and remember to insulate heavily (top and bottom) and you can't go wrong.

John

Comment

Welcome Richie

You have found a knowlegable, supportive group of mentors here, take advantage of it.
        Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

thanks for the replies guys, I think I am going to build the Pompei style oven as seen on this site, the bricks used are they just normal firebricks cut into halves or are the bricks cut and tapered too ?

Comment

The firebricks (the cheapest you can find and usually low duty) are cut in two pieces and sometimes tapered too. I tapered mine, but I'm not sure it wasn't a lot of wasted time. An oven will perform well with or without tapered bricks. I decided we were into cooking and not the process of building.
            Lee B.
            DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Cheers lee, another thing i dont want to do is to fully enclose the dome, was just going to render it (after insulating) but need to look into this as we have a load of rain here in Northumberland... the base plinth is going to get poured in the next week or so, so i will post a project thread up

Comment

Originally posted by RichieRich View Post
                Cheers lee, another thing i dont want to do is to fully enclose the dome, was just going to render it (after insulating) but need to look into this as we have a load of rain here in Northumberland... the base plinth is going to get poured in the next week or so, so i will post a project thread up
                You may want to think about putting the oven under some type of roof for a little extra protection against the elements. Some have incorporated their ovens in covered outdoor kitchens, patio covers, or just a simple open sided roof over the dome.

I had intended to build an inclosure, but could not bare to hide the dome. After seeing it's shape (and a lot of influence from family and friends) became partial to the igloo design. In the subtropical climate in which I live, 60" of rain per year is a given so I am putting an open sided roof over mine. One that will help protect the oven from elements, but will allow me to showcase the the dome.
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Well been busy today, i have decided to go with a 42" Pompei Igloo design oven, could not believe how large the found needed to be 86 x 73 x 5.5, but nevertheless i have dug out the rectangle in the corner of my garden, ready for the shuttering to go in and the concrete to be poured.

quick question, my pal has decided he wants to build an oven too, but wants to use it to heat his house, can this be done ? my thoughts were to run a coil of pipe around the outside of the dome before render goes on, then coupled with a pump and some gubbins it could possibly work... he wants to burn his offcuts of lumber but i think its treated lumber, i take it we cant burn treated stuff or charcoals in these ovens ?

Comment

That will rob heat from the oven making it less efficient. There is a thread on this site in which something like this was attempted. I believe that this idea was abandoned although the coils remained uncharged against the dome. If I can find the thread I will post the link.

Also, the treated lumber that I am familiar with shouldn't even be burned in a fire place, much less an oven.
                    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

yeah i thought so, his business is lumber and there are lots and lots of offcuts for him, i had heard of people using the ovens to heat Spa Pool's etc i presume you either use the oven for food or heating but not together hahahahaha.

well re bar and liner have gone into the found, i had a re read of the forno bravo plans and have made the corner style found, I added a bit onto the side which is going to be a bench and an ice bin for beer. Unfortunately the heavens have opened here so the pour will have to wait. :-( I am somewhat intimidated for the construction of the dome, i think i will make the centre tool i have seen on youtube looks like a stud bar with a plate on the end which screws to the centre of the oven

Comment

Originally posted by RichieRich View Post
                        i think i will make the centre tool i have seen on youtube looks like a stud bar with a plate on the end which screws to the centre of the oven
                        Look on the forum for IT or indispensable tool you will find many versions an styles.

Chip
                        Chip

Comment

Well after four years I am finally getting on with the project at hand ! I laid the foundation back in 2012, I went for a corner setup in the end... Only problem is I couldn't recall what size oven I had chosen DOE !! My dense concrete blocks arrived yesterday and I started mocking them up, only to find that my base is not perfectly level ! Base size is 62",62",42",42",30" so I doubt the 42" oven will fit that.. I will need to mortar my base course onto the base to level everything up before I proceed, anyway at least I have started !!!! One things for sure, in the last four years the UK market has more choice for materials now which is a good thing.

Comment

You may want to leave a larger entrance to the wood bin yours appears to be quite narrow
                            Chip

Comment

I would agree with you Chip. I think the opening on mine is roughly 24". You could widen it some by cutting the corner cell diagonally so the entrance is square and then do a solid poor for it. That is how I did mine and it worked out nicely. My base is 70x70 and I have a 40" oven and could have done a 42".

Randy

Comment

Working...
                              X