Does Sand Stone make a suitable oven base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Sand Stone make a suitable oven base

Hi All, I want to make an outdoor oven and am wondering if i can use a GIANT piece of sand stone i already own as the oven base. It's about 5 inches thick. It was an old 'Pantry' stone to keep stuff cool in the cellar of an old house..

It's super smooth so bread and pizza would slide lovely on it.. My only concern is.. would it take the heat of building fires on it ?? .. Any help gratefully received

Welcome

ManicOrganic, I share the desire to use materials on hand as you design a project, but I think the sand stone would gradually deteriorate and give you a steady supply of sand on the bottom of your pizza. But, I'm am sure you could create some kind of table or counter incorporating the sandstone in your oven area.

My advice on building a traditional Italian oven is located at the blue link in my signature.
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Re: Does Sand Stone make a suitable oven base

Hi, Thanks for your reply.. That sounds like very good advice! Thank you.. Very pleased to have found your Forum. When i come to build my oven, i will stick to tried and tested methods and materials. I'm still doing my early research at the moment. Best Wishes from Lancashire, England..

Comment

Working...
      X