Sticky Pizza Bases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky Pizza Bases

I have built my own oven a liitle while ago, but I am still trying to improve the way I make my pizza bases. I find they are too sticky and I have difficulty in trying to slide the base from the peel onto the stones. Im thinking that my dough mixutre is too wet. Any clues

Re: Sticky Pizza Bases

Originally posted by mitdav99 View Post
    I have built my own oven a Little while ago, but I am still trying to improve the way I make my pizza bases. I find they are too sticky and I have difficulty in trying to slide the base from the peel onto the stones. I'm thinking that my dough mixture is too wet. Any clues
    Your description of a sticking pizza is something we all experience. Most use thin layer of flour, corn meal or semolina between the peel and pizza. That thin layer helps the pizza to slide off the peel.

We use a perforated peel , allowing excess flour to fall back to the work surface before placing the pizza in the oven. Keep the outside edge of the pizza dough and counter surface completely dry (so the toppings don't fall off and make the pizza stick to the counter or the peel when you are trying to put the pizza on the peel or leave it in the oven. If you search this site with the right combination of words, you will find many threads about this very issue. You are not alone
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

I like others ran into this problem my first two firings. I made two significant changes that solved it. First, switched to a wooden peel for building/placing my pizzas. Was using the metal one that came with the set I bought. Second, bought a flour shaker for the peel to allow me to shake a thin coat on the peel. Problem solved, haven't had a lost pie in the last six firings. Wet dough likely isn't your problem (i'm at over 65% hydration). Also, after placing your pie in the oven with the wooden peel, keep it from any heat source....in fact, sometimes I stick mine in the freezer for just a min. Keeping it cool, and hence the dough cool on it, will help.

Comment

Thank you Ronh and Lburou, sage and reassuring advice. Many thanks

Comment

Working...
        X