Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEllo from across th epond

Morning and hello from Ireland just a stones thrown away
    Last edited by john_aero; 05-29-2012, 10:46 PM.

Re: HEllo from across th epond

just got foundations dug for a 4'x5'x5" area incorporated with reat garden so hopefully f stops raining i can lay the concrete and slab will be hidden under pea gravel

hope build a simpler barrel style oven as it suits my skills better (or lack of them) and less cutting and messing around

i am trying see if i make large ropeneing big enough to fit chicken in standing upright in a beer can or just do a standard archway in 60% size of oven itself

hope also build a medium pit beside it for the summer months

Comment

Welcome John

Most of the old timers recommend you do a lot of research here before you get very far so you don't have to go back and do things again. A barrel oven is fine, just be sure to plan for enough horizontal space to insulate and enclose your oven to keep the elements out. When you get some pictures, start your own build thread.
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Hi John - f?ilte romhat - good to see another hibernian oven initiated
        This forum is excellent so you made a good choice straight away. I think that with some noteable exceptions (brickie in oz is one good example) the ovens here are mostly domes. Dineens in Athy are now making tapered bricks which should be ideal for either dome or barrell vaults.
        Good luck with the build - and hopefully this Junuary weather picks up.

BTW - follow Lee's (lburou) "my advice" link above. He has compiled a list of builds which are well worth reviewing before you start.
        Last edited by Amac; 06-20-2012, 11:47 AM.
        Amac
        Link to my WFO build

Comment

i know dinners very well and do like their dome but think my oven will cost around 250 euro

like the domes but it doens tsuit my skillsand materials

where you based Amac

Comment

"my oven will cost around 250 euro"
            I'm not going to say how much my oven cost but - let's just say a small fortune and rising I like the sound of €250 though - how do you manage it?

I'm in Athlone - where are you?
            Amac
            Link to my WFO build

Comment

i am in laois outside durrow on the old dublin cork road

i spent 100 on std bricks, 50 on old hand made bricks and 30 on4in blocks

4in blocks make the shape, std red brick theclads this giving me 6in of silidblock to lay slab on.

hand made bricks i have 130 and they will be for the dome walls. i will buy some insulation and fire brick tiles for the floor from dineens

the bricks for the dome arch were from a lad who knows a lad. they are pre shaped fire brick (white and heav as hell) that were left spare after overhaul of a furnace that melts aluminium from rock.

only issue i have is not 100% sure if these fire bricks are more insulation or if they will provide some heat atorage as well. he also thre in 6 bags or pre mixed furnace cement (this be for the concrete slab for heat purposes and a tub of furnace brick glue to bond bricks

Comment

only issue i have is not 100% sure if these fire bricks are more insulation or if they will provide some heat atorage
                if these are the bricks you describe as "heavy as hell" then they are probably heat storage bricks. Any insulation bricks I heard of are ultra light and brittle. Someone here will probably tell you for sure - post some pics.

I see a lot of salvaged handmade "clonown" yellow clay bricks for sale around here - but they usually look like the mould was made from a dogs hind leg. They used to be made just south of Athlone from the clay dug just beside the shannon. They might be good for heat storage, but I'm not sure how easy they would be to work with.
                Amac
                Link to my WFO build

Comment

Originally posted by Amac View Post
                  if these are the bricks you describe as "heavy as hell" then they are probably heat storage bricks. Any insulation bricks I heard of are ultra light and brittle. Someone here will probably tell you for sure - post some pics.

I see a lot of salvaged handmade "clonown" yellow clay bricks for sale around here - but they usually look like the mould was made from a dogs hind leg. They used to be made just south of Athlone from the clay dug just beside the shannon. They might be good for heat storage, but I'm not sure how easy they would be to work with.
                  well the old hand made bricks i have should do, what play do is build the 3-4brick high wall up with red brick and build floor with red brick then tiles over bricks to make the cook area clean.

the fire bricki will use for the arch as they are pre shaped

saw the yellow brick never liked them

adverts.ie has good lot red bricks cheap

Comment

Working...
                  X