Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member - Goolwa Beach, Australia

Hi, thought I should finally register.

Have browsed the site for some time. Was planning on building an oven down in the yard, however finally decided to put it in a more convenient location upstairs on the deck. I'm having a sea change/bum phase of my life, so wanted to sit back, watch the Whales swim along the coast whilst playing with the oven etc.

I'm a 20/60/20 (Pizza/Bread/Other) oven user. Anyway, bought an Elite 850TC oven in the end. Weight, aesthetics/ function and efficiency where the main drivers of why I settled on the Elite. The oven isn't rendered....it's effectively a composite moulding.....looks rendered to every one. Oven weighs 300kg.

Have used the oven a half dozen times so far, haven't finished the painting etc of the cabinet (thats the bum in me).

Cheers
    Noel

Re: New member - Goolwa Beach, Australia

I'm in a similar position,in many ways.
    My ideal oven would be on my deck too.as I cant imagine going into the backyard in the middle of the night to cook when everything happens on the deck
    I don't really want to buy one though.(no fun in that)
    I was thinking support the deck with a few extra joists and build a hebel base and a small dome.
    Its usually only for 2 of us and very occasionally 4.and the weekly bread bake.
    Does anyone have a clue how heavy a pile of bricks and mortar for a small lightweight oven would be?

Comment

I'm a bit hazy on the detail now, however I was concerned going over 300kg per square meter on a well constructed deck....this was after reading the various Australian Standards on decks (need to consider point loads as well). I couldn't see how a base, small brick oven (rendered) could weigh less than 900kg..... Even the two hebel power panels I used as an oven base weigh 35kg each!

Certainly worth a few hundred dollars to get some engineering advice done on deck strengthening to ensure your insurance/future liability is taken care off.

see this link for hebel weight http://www.hebelinnovations.com.au/m...AQ/13FAQ13.pdf

Also should add, definately worth having the oven convieniently located.....worth the extra trouble.....including the flue.
      Last edited by noelpolar; 07-12-2012, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Hi Noel, and welcome aboard.
        Great to see that you plucked up the courage and joined this forum after talking with your lovely other half the other day.
        I couldn't imagine that you wouldn't have known of this site with the research that you have done but great to see you here.
        Hopefully, you've downloaded the e-books and next time you're down in town, get your unbleached flour from Gagganis or even try their Pizza flour, all in 12.5kg bags but very reasonably priced.
        Cheers for now.

Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neill’s kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Hi Neill

Anna mentioned that she had met you the other day. I thought Id register in case someone wants to discuss the Elite ovens at some stage. I had trouble finding anyone who had experience with them.

Have been using Lauke flour (organic unbleached) for some time with success (supporting a local shop down this way). Cheers for now.

Comment

Next time you're coming down to town, call past and I'll give you a few kilos of the good stuff to try. I'm just off the way down and you have my address and contact numbers.

Neill
            Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
            Neill’s kitchen underway
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Gudday Noel and welcome

Caught a few waves on my lid at Goolwa over the years...... but back to another passion

Neil is right on the gagganis flour.

My tips.
              The Laucke wallabies bakers flour is great for rustic breads
              My fave for pizza is Allied Flours - pizza and foccacia mix. I usually buy it in bulk from food wholesalers (12kg) when its summer due to increased consumption
              Cheers
              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

BTW most foodlands will order in Lauckes or Gagganis if you can't find it local.
                Cheers
                Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Originally posted by noelpolar View Post
                  Hi, thought I should finally register.

Have browsed the site for some time. Was planning on building an oven down in the yard, however finally decided to put it in a more convenient location upstairs on the deck. I'm having a sea change/bum phase of my life, so wanted to sit back, watch the Whales swim along the coast whilst playing with the oven etc.

I'm a 20/60/20 (Pizza/Bread/Other) oven user. Anyway, bought an Elite 850TC oven in the end. Weight, aesthetics/ function and efficiency where the main drivers of why I settled on the Elite. The oven isn't rendered....it's effectively a composite moulding.....looks rendered to every one. Oven weighs 300kg.

Have used the oven a half dozen times so far, haven't finished the painting etc of the cabinet (thats the bum in me).

Cheers
                  Noel

Hi Noel,
                  Just wondering how you are finding the Elite wood oven?
                  Have you noticed any cracking etc?
                  How long is heat up time? and how long does it keep temp?
                  Cheers Jimmy

Comment

Hi neil i would like some help in regards to the Elite oven

Comment

Working...
                    X