can it be oblong in shape?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can it be oblong in shape?

I am building an oven that it will be oblong in shape. It measure 50" wide and 33" deep and 24" high in the center.
    Would this work or it has to be definetively round? Bricks are not cement in yet cause i want to be sure About the shape so not to ruin the whole project. Anyone please?

Re: can it be oblong in shape?

What are you going to cook?

Comment

If it's not in cement, why not go round?
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks Les for the reply, but the thing is that the round shape appear to be small. If round the back of the dome would be flush with the back of the earth, and I will not be able to insulate it well. Has anyone built this shape before? Is it going to retain heat better? Will it need more time to get to temperature? Will it work? I probably won't start working on it again until better weather shows up. So I have time to decide, but if you or anyone knows please drop me a line. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Italiano vero View Post
          Thanks Les for the reply, but the thing is that the round shape appear to be small.
          Objects in the rear view mirror appear closer than they are

There are some HUGE round ovens. I built a 42 inch and I could probably slide in a fairly large hog if I wanted to. I believe someone built an 80 inch - you could cook a friggen cow! If you are limited by space, maybe an Allen Scott design would be best. They can be very deep compared to the width. If you can show us your space, and let us know what want to cook, that would help us help you...
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Remember if you use Allen Scott's design, do not use his insulation approach, its wrong!

Comment

Just a quick word of warning: The oblong (or rectangular) shape will work, but only if the depth of your oven is greater than it's width. On a previous thread here, a poster wrote that he had built an oven wider than it was deep, and the oven would not breathe to the point that it was rendered useless.

Build a bigger, round, oven following established Pompeii measurements/ratios and insulation and you'll be fine.

Comment

Working...
              X