300 gallon, 500,000 btu kettle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300 gallon, 500,000 btu kettle?

Anyone know if its possible to heat a 300 gallon, 500,000 btu kettle with a wood fire? I should say that it's just an idea and it is for a small brewery. As far as I know there is only one wood-fired kettle in use in the world at the moment. This is at the Caracole brewery near Dinant in Belgium. I have been there and have looked around quickly and they're using a large brick and iron range.

I would be hoping to do this without the massive iron range.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks and cheers,

Dann
    Yorkshire, UK

Re: 300 gallon, 500,000 btu kettle?

I'd love to see a picture of that kettle in operation....

Paquette, I would certainly say it is possible. How hot do you need to get it?

My brother has a wood fired hot tub you could cook in....and he's in Sioux Lookout three hours north of International Falls.....where it can be 40 degrees below zero on both scales this time of year!

mmmm...300 gallons of brew? You might need some help...I know a few Yorkies!
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Re: 300 gallon, 500,000 btu kettle?

Thanks for the reply. I would need this kettle to boil for periods of around 90 minutes a day.

Any rough calculations I can use to figure out how big the fire needs to be? Any suggestions? Anyone in North Yorkshire who can help me out?

Great site and thanks,

Dann

Comment

Working...
      X