Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello!

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and to building ovens, as well. My husband and I are building an Alan Scott bread oven with a fireplace underneath. So far we've poured a concrete slab and have a pile of cinderblocks and fire bricks sitting next to it, haha.
    I'm excited to start the next stage of the project, and I've been really inspired by all the great ideas on this forum.
    I'll be sure to post about our progress!
    Thanks,
    Sarah

Re: Hello!

Very cool. What part of Sacramento? I lived in Laguna 20+ years ago.
    Post some pics as you proceed.

Comment

You might want to download the free plans from Forno Bravo. At the very least do a lot of research before going any further. Alan Scott's designs are not insulated properly. Also, combining a fireplace underneath the oven is a difficult task. There are lots of things to conscider when trying to combine the two .
      Last edited by Gulf; 12-30-2012, 10:22 AM. Reason: adding link
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Welcome to the forum Sarah. Although the Alan Scott book is a great read, as Gulf noted above there have been several improvements to home WFO construction methods and materials since its publication. By all means download and read the Forno Bravo plans-they are very informative/useful, but your best resource is the experience of the WFO builders on this forum. In the newbie forum, Lee Burou put together an awesome resource list for folks beginning to think about a build. Here's the link for your convenience.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/n...res-15133.html

Although it may seem intimidating (and long) at first, it's well worth the time to read through the threads noted by Lee. (What thing you'll note is that almost everyone ends up advising insulate, insulate, and then insulate!)

Don't forget that although building your own oven from the ground up is really a fabulous experience, the modular ovens offered by Forno Bravo are really a good value and worth thinking about.
        Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
        Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
        Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
        Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
        X