Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 28" Phoenix, AZ

Hey all,
    Been on this site for a while now researching tons, it is a priceless resource! So I am building a 28" pompeii oven in my back yard. Something unique about it is that I am building it on an angle iron steel stand, which I had welded for me by a local guy. The reason that I am doing it that way is because I am currently renting, and have and will be putting way too much into this bad boy to leave here when I leave at some point. I ordered wheels for the frame, which I will put on via a 5/8" steel rod I am going to bore through legs. Once thats done, I will cut the legs, and boom, it's coming with me! I figure I can winch it onto a trailer.

Anyways, the project is coming along great! Having a blast doing it and figuring out new things as I go along. Here are some pics!

Re: 28" Phoenix, AZ

So, it's steel, concrete or vcrete?

Comment

So the stand I had welded is 2" 3/8" thick angle iron. The stand has 3 pieces of angle iron running across it for support. I placed a piece of hardibacker, and poured a 2" thick concrete base. On top of that, I poured 4" of perlite and portland, and placed the cooking floor on top of that. I am using the classic mix as my mortar. I plan on using 8lb 1" thick ceramic blanket and some more perlite and portland mix on top of that to insulate it. I got a ss duravent chimney pipe and a sweet metal best cap on the way. Still brainstorming my finishing options. My wife's father was a ceramist, and made great raku pottery for a living, so I am kind of inspired by that to so something cool!

Comment

Which part of Phoenix are you in? The roof tile, stucco, and window on the house next door look very familiar.

Comment

Ha, don't they all! I'm over in Tempe.

Comment

Working...
          X