Nubie questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nubie questions

I was able to get the landscaping, foundation, stand and slab completed before the rains started here in Oakland CA in November. Now I will wait for the dryer weather to order and install a Premio 2G100, 40" oven. It's killing me to wait, I really wanted it ready for Christmas. The worst part is now I keep thinking of what I need to do and if I can make it better. I built the stand plenty big which is probably causing my mind to play these games.

First, my wife wants the dome shape, no problem there. Where my mind has gone it that I could add in more insulating capacity if I use a 2" layer of vermicrete over the modular oven, then the blanket followed by stucco. Is this over kill, if not is this the best layering method or should the blanket be next to the precast?
    Waterproofing the stucco is the second mind twister. I get no response via internet from manufacturers when I question them about their product in this application.

I have three months to torment myself over the final details. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Nubie questions

My layers were as following
    1. Firebrick.
    2. Heatstop HS50 high heat refractory mortar
    3.Believe it or not complete coverage of entire dome in Heavy Duty aluminium
    foil.
    4.Chicken wire over entire dome.
    5.25 ft of 2" ceramic insulaing blanket
    6. 4" of Vermicrete over entire dome.
    7.Another layer of chicken wire over entire dome.
    8.Brown coat of stucco.
    9.Scratch coat of stucco.
    10.Acrylic finish/top coat of pre mix colored stucco...

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Coloradoredusa; 01-13-2013, 10:29 AM. Reason: missed a step
    “Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.”

Trellis

Home Sweet Home~ Colorado Springs ~

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by campbelloakland View Post
      ........First, my wife wants the dome shape, no problem there. Where my mind has gone it that I could add in more insulating capacity if I use a 2" layer of vermicrete over the modular oven, then the blanket followed by stucco........
      I would apply the blanket and then the vcrete. This arangement not only has the added benifit of extra insulation, but also a way of truing up the shape of the dome before stucco.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

^^Gulf.. I missed a step^^ fixed it ! left out the blanket!
        “Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.”

Trellis

Home Sweet Home~ Colorado Springs ~

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X