Kiwi (New Zealand) Oven install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiwi (New Zealand) Oven install

Hi - thought now I have pulled the trigger I would stop and say "hi" and try to contribute a little here.

I have learnt a ton from these forums having been a lurker for a very long time- and I hope that I will be able to give a little back.

You will note I said install in the title as opposed to build. Simple reason for this really - I dont have the time, or (more importantly) the very obvious talent that so many on this forum have who have created their own masterpieces.

I have just ordered a Fuera oven in New Zealand. There is a lack of reasonable ovens down here, and Fire Bricks cost a fortune and a 1/2 - so reasonable ovens already built as a reasonable price are hard to find. Either way - I have been happy with what I have seen with this guy and decided to buy off him.

{Now - I got in trouble with Mods on (I think) my second post - so I have just linked to his facebook page www.facebook.com/FueraOvens to give some imagery I hope that this is OK. If not - Mods please just delete this section.}

Anyway - I love cooking with fire (I have a real passion for it) - so I am putting in the WFO to go with my Big Green Egg, Webber (Upstairs BBQ), and I am also installing a dedicated hangi pit.

So this is my progress on day ...1

It will be installed at the far end of my entertaining deck (in the middle)
    image_4 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

image_4 by kiwitank, on Flickr

The Deck is slightly raised so I will have to start a base. I plan to have this built up to the level of the deck - then have oven on legs (boxed in) so I can have a dry wood storage area.

image_5 by kiwitank, on Flickr

Day One digging - its hot as hell and almost 100% humidity here - and this is rock hard dirt - so not bad for a afternoons effort.

I know it looks 'off square' - but its an illusion (honest) - it is square.

image_2 by kiwitank, on Flickr

The hangi pit is being built down where the old spa pool used to be. Just building stairs to make it accessible. I plan on heating the stones in the oven and transporting them down by metal bucket (and welding gloves)

image_1 by kiwitank, on Flickr
    Last edited by Tank; 01-13-2013, 12:58 PM.

Re: Kiwi (New Zealand) Oven install

The final thing every man needs who cooks meat with fire ;-) is a Big Green Egg. Presented with the table my youngest son built me as a school project - I am very proud of it.

image by kiwitank, on Flickr

Anyway I hope that this is of any of some use to someone (perhaps when I have more of the build / install documented.

Regards

Chris
    Last edited by Tank; 01-13-2013, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Hi Tank , I thought that my firebricks were expensive at 1.74 USD a piece, but they are outrageous over there. I can see why a pre fab oven is an option! They look nice .. and the area that you are going to install it at is great too!
      “Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.”

Trellis

Home Sweet Home~ Colorado Springs ~

sigpic

Comment

Tank,

I had a problem when I first started posting pics too. I think that I have seen some first time posters do it though. I am not to familuar with Flicker but, try this.

Open, both your flicker album and your thread in seperate windows.

On your flicker album select the pic that you want to imbed. In the top left corner click the drop down box under "Share". Select the "BBC code and copy.

In your reply where you want the pic to appear just paste it in. I use Control V. on the key board to do this.

image_4 by kiwitank, on Flickr

Beautiful garden by the way .
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks Gulf - that worked a treat. Thanks for the comment on the garden also - its a start - lots of work to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Coloradoredusa View Post
            Hi Tank , I thought that my firebricks were expensive at 1.74 USD a piece, but they are outrageous over there. I can see why a pre fab oven is an option! They look nice .. and the area that you are going to install it at is great too!
            Hi Coloradoreusa,

Yeah - the bricks are a killer here. The neat thing with this oven is that it is brick for the main part (the done and sides), but the chimney is prefab high density fire concrete (sorry I do not know the technical name for it) - so hopefully it will have very good heat retention.

I was worried that there would be issues where the two joined - but looking at his very well used demo over - it isn't an issue. I will post more pics when it arrives.

Thanks for the comment on the area - I built the deck for my 40th birthday - Im pretty proud of it - being the first time I had ever done anything 'grown up' like that.
            Last edited by Tank; 01-13-2013, 01:04 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Tank,

Welcome to the WFO group. Good luck with your modular. I am sure it will work out fine. Nice little setup for entertaining and I like the greenegg and table. Keep sending pics on your progress.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

You have an excellent setup and I look forward to seeing the results of both the pit and the WFO.

Comment

OK - Some progress.

IMG_0385 by kiwitank, on Flickr

I have installed the framing and filled the bottom with GAP20. Spent some time with the compactor getting it nicely packed.

This will be concrete base upto the level of the Deck on which the pizza oven will stand on a set of legs. (very, very sturdy legs)

Comment

You will have to excuse the quality of the work here - I have never 'done' concrete before - I hope that what I have done will be strong enough.

I rebar'ed the box out. I went to get mesh like most of the builds I have see - but I managed to get full rebar for 1/2 the price of the mesh (I had to buy a mesh sheet that would have been enough to do 10 bases).

Rebar'ed and ready for the pour. by kiwitank, on Flickr

I ordered a harder concrete - that is strong enough for a car to park on (20MPa).

I didnt have a trowel - so did the best I could do with a bit of 4x2.

All done. by kiwitank, on Flickr

Next the bricks.

Comment

You'll be fine with what you've done so far. Went the extra mile wilth the wacker packer. Can't tell if the rock was wet but it packs better when it is.
                      Plenty deep high strength concrete. All good. The one thing I would suggest for others following your build and planning their own would be to drive your stakes below the top of your forms. It makes screading the concrete much easier. Looking forward to continued photos of your progress.

Comment

Originally posted by silvfox View Post
                        The one thing I would suggest for others following your build and planning their own would be to drive your stakes below the top of your forms. It makes screading the concrete much easier. Looking forward to continued photos of your progress.
                        thanks for the feedback - and yep - I wish I read that advise before screeding. The "sticky up bits" were a pain in the arse.

Comment

Soooo..... I just got home, and seems that my neighbor has been to visit while I was out.

Background - when he was out a few weeks ago - I mowed the word "Dick" in his front lawn in 8ft high letters.

He wanted to leave me with a "little reminder of him" in my build - so I just came home to this in my base:

Untitled by kiwitank, on Flickr

Gottla love the humor in this neighborhood. Well played sir, well played !

Comment

Today - having no idea about how to mortar I set to work on the base with the help of a couple of friends.

To start we drilled into the base and used Ram-Set glue to install the vertical rebar.

Then it was simply a matter of laying some mortar to get the first row perfect - then repeating for each subsequent row.

All in all I was very surprised how easy it was. I will leave this a few days to cure then I will be filling in the re-bared 'holes' with concrete.

So anyone who is considering to either use motar vs dry stacking simply because of skill (or lack of it) - give it a crack - its not that hard at all.

Time to complete was about 2.5 / 3 hours.

Pizza Oven base by kiwitank, on Flickr

Comment

Stupid question - are you going higher than this so the oven is used from the deck (to the left of the photo) or from the garden to the right?
                              If from the garden are you putting in paving or something - only asking as I have a similar quandary. As you know our sun can make concrete or pavers unbearable on barefeet in summer and gravel is pretty uncomfortable at the best of times - any ideas that I can steal?

Comment

Working...
                              X