Hello from the Santa Cruz Mountains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from the Santa Cruz Mountains

I'm getting ready to break ground on an oven this weekend. So, while I'm getting the slab, base and hearth built, I need to settle on a dome form. I've read the various threads on oven shapes, but no one has really defined why a low dome is better than a full hemispherical dome (Hey, I could get one of those Hemi badges off a Dodge truck).

My theory is that the popularity of the low domes in Italy stems from two factors, time and money. There is about 3/4 as much material in a low dome (cheaper) and it will heat faster because of that as well, so that's where I'm headed.

Being an Engineer I'm going to fly in the face of tradition and cast my oven in quarters out of refractory cement, essentially making my own kit. At 3" thick each each quarter will weigh a little under 200#, which two people can move around if I cast them in a form on the hearth. The form will be for the last two pieces to add the opening and flu, although I'm tempted to try and do in in one piece on just the last piece.

One last temptation is to simply make a igloo shaped form from plywood, cover it with refractory cement and burn out the form once it's cured.

Any thoughts on these techniques? Perhaps not as creative as the geodesic dome, but novel none the less.

Enz

Re: Hello from the Santa Cruz Mountains

Originally posted by enz View Post
    One last temptation is to simply make a igloo shaped form from plywood, cover it with refractory cement and burn out the form once it's cured.
    I like that idea, even a plastic covered dome of wet sand would work if you didn't want to get into fancy woodworking.

Did you read about the guy who did a geodesic from cast refractory elements: It's about half way down on this page:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/dm...en-765-11.html

One thing I learned: smaller pieces are easier to work with than bigger pieces, particularly when you get up the dome.

Good luck with your project. Keep us posted.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
    X