Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New WFO in Westchester, NY

Hey All,

Just wanted to let everyone know that we have we started our new wood fired oven. We poured the foundation today and after it cures will start with the base. I'll post pictures at each stage and hopefully it will go smoothly. I'm hoping to be baking pizza and bread by mid June -- that may be a bit optimistic.

Here are the first images....

Steve

Re: New WFO in Westchester, NY

June of 2013 or did you mean 2014 . Regardless enjoy the ride and keep sending pic of your build.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

2013. Yes, I know -- a bit optimistic but I have alot of free time because I work from home. I figure if the unfinished oven is ready by July I can bake and finish it throughout the summer. More to come!

Comment

Hey Steve

You have a slab, that is a good start towards your desired completion time.

I am on the home run (curing fires) with mine and laid the slab on 28 Feb 13. I had a 3 week enforced medical 'holiday' but have plugged away consistently in the interim. There are points in the build when progress is slow. Towards the top of the dome was slow for me, waiting for the hearth slab to cure a bit before loading it up with the dome, giving the dome a week to cure before the first fire.......

I reckon that you can be eating the pizza by the end of June if you keep at it.

By the end of this week I hope to have the insulation done and with some render, tiling, doors and shelving and bits and pieces I hope to declare completion in about 2 weeks.

Good luck with your build. It is a very satisfying experience, new skills to learn and the Forum is an awesome resource.

Cheers............. Steve
        Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Thanks for the wishes guys!

Do you guys have any recommendations on curing time for the 6" concrete foundation and the hearth slab? Do you think a week is fine or should I push it to two?

Thanks again!

Steve

Comment

Finally managed to make sure more progress with the oven. Its been raining non stop so we got delayed a week or so. Going to pour the hearth tomorrow!

Comment

Does anyone have suggestions on where to purchase insulation board in the NY area? I'm having trouble locating some and I would rather not pay 100 dollars for shipping from FB. Thanks!!!

Comment

Unless you are really short the oven will be too low.
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Too low? The oven will be opening around 40"-41" which should be just about perfect, no? Plus I have the extra 2" from the foundation slab. A typical kitchen countertop is between 34"-36".

Comment

If you're in the general vacinity of NYC, Distribution International has a couple of facilities in the area. They sell a Cal-Sil board product called Thermo-12 Gold for fairly cheap--typically around $100 for a carton of 9 1'x3' boards. Several people on the forum (myself included) have used it to good effect. I had to pay an additional $35 for freight charges since they had to ship some in from another facility, but maybe the NY area warehouses have some in stock. At those prices your can afford to put a full 4" of board under your oven, which is probably overkill, but nice to have anyway .
                    My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...-dc-18213.html

Comment

Thanks! I also found a place in CT that sells the boards. -- Harbison-Walker Refractories Company -- I'll give them both a call and compare products.

Hearth was poured on Monday, will post pictures after I remove the framing this week.

Comment

+2 for RSandler and Brickie .

Ditto on Distribution International. Before you pour the hearth slab, you might want to do a "mock up" of your finished floor and door height that will allow you to visualize working the oven from a bent position . You will also gain a lot of storage area under the oven .
                        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Oops, I see it is too late. Tried to delete, I don't think it worked.
                          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                            +2 for RSandler and Brickie .

Ditto on Distribution International. Before you pour the hearth slab, you might want to do a "mock up" of your finished floor and door height that will allow you to visualize working the oven from a bent position . You will also gain a lot of storage area under the oven .

Their insulation board is only recommended to 1300F. You think thats fine? The FB CalSi board goes to 2300F. I know I'm not running my oven that hot, but I dont want the board to degrade over time.

Comment

The hottest I've ever gotten my floor is 900F, and that only after a multi-day firing for a big pizza party. The bottom of the bricks, where they contact the insulation, is surely cooler than the top surface. The Thermo-12 Gold stuff should do for you.
                              My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...-dc-18213.html

Comment

Working...
                              X